LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I've been interested in trying veneer, maybe on a small box or something, but I don't have any place that sells it around here, and didn't want to order online, sight unseen, so I never bought any. All I know about veneering is what I've seen T-Mac, Roy, and the Woodsmith guys do on TV.

This popped up on the local CL :
http://binghamton.craigslist.org/mat/4759515122.html

Does this sound like a good deal? What does one need to watch out for when purchasing veneer on CL?

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
It's hard to discern what species are in that stack, but it at least deserves a look. With the limited info available, I would say it's quite a buy.

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
That's a great deal. Most veneer is priced by the square foot. The majority of them are over $1/sqft, and they are charging a fraction of that. I would pick it up, and if you don't really like anything in the stack, to just use it on non-show faces to counteract wood movement of the show faces.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
If your just starting to work with veneer you might want to consider using paperbacked veneers. Very easy to work with. Many of the retailers have pretty good photos on their websites so you can see what you will get. My experience has been that the veneers looked better than the photos.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If your just starting to work with veneer you might want to consider using paperbacked veneers. Very easy to work with. Many of the retailers have pretty good photos on their websites so you can see what you will get. My experience has been that the veneers looked better than the photos.

- Julian
I've had the same experience, the photos typically don't do it justice. But they at least tell you enough about what you are purchasing. About the only thing that I could see being an issue is if it is a stack of randoms instead of a matched set (though I would suspect that is really rare, being as though it would be more effort than just having a matched stack). I have gotten some where the order was a bit jumbled, but none where I didn't get what I was expecting.

Paper backed is definitely easier to work with; you don't have to do any jointing/taping and the gluing is more reliable, but you do miss out on working on some essential skills.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.