LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
So I was driving back from Las Vegas to Central Cali and was looking out the window and saw a lot of Joshua Trees just sitting out there not doing anything or being useful and I thought to myself, "I wonder what the wood from a Joshua tree looks like and if it could be used for any projects." I mean there's just tons of them sitting out in the desert not really doing anything. Has anyone ever used one in a project before or know what the wood looks like? Are they even usable or is my mind just wandering on a useless thought?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Just be carefull you are not in the Joshua tree national forest. That could be big trouble even for downed trees.

Have never checked out the wood from one, so don't know bout that. I think they are more like a cactus then a real tree though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
"Joshua trees are fast growers for the desert; new seedlings may grow at an average rate of 7.6 cm (3.0 in) per year in their first ten years, then only grow about 3.8 cm (1.5 in) per year thereafter. The trunk of a Joshua tree is made of thousands of small fibers and lacks annual growth rings, making it difficult to determine the tree's age. This tree has a top-heavy branch system, but also has what has been described as a "deep and extensive" root system, with roots possibly reaching up to 11 m (36 ft) away. If it survives the rigors of the desert it can live for hundreds of years with some specimens surviving up to a thousand years."

It is in the evergreen family, sounds like it may be a softer wood. With no growth rings it could have an interesting grain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.