LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Fortunately or unfortunately I am out of space in my modest shop so I can't bring in any large machines. I spent entirely too much time while it was being built figuring out work flow and placement of larger machines and then I installed dust collection around the main dust offending equipment. Ten years later and I haven't moved any of my large equipment. It would suck to rearrange the dust collection! And it seems to work.

As to smaller stuff I am constantly trying to figure out better placement of stuff. Musical chairs with pegboard hung stuff. Some day I will tackle my two drawers and two cabinets on my one rudimentary bench. I sort of know what is in there but it is a mess. On my woodworking bench I try to keep stuff off of that except for projects I'm working on with varying degrees of failure/success.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Doing it today! There's always room in my tiny shop for one more tool until I get it in there and then….........

·
Banned
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fortunately or unfortunately I am out of space in my modest shop so I can t bring in any large machines. I spent entirely too much time while it was being built figuring out work flow and placement of larger machines and then I installed dust collection around the main dust offending equipment. Ten years later and I haven t moved any of my large equipment. It would suck to rearrange the dust collection! And it seems to work.

As to smaller stuff I am constantly trying to figure out better placement of stuff. Musical chairs with pegboard hung stuff. Some day I will tackle my two drawers and two cabinets on my one rudimentary bench. I sort of know what is in there but it is a mess. On my woodworking bench I try to keep stuff off of that except for projects I m working on with varying degrees of failure/success.

- ElChe
Thats funny what you said about the ubiquitous peg board. I just got done hanging 2 more 4×4 pieces of it. This time I was smarter than last time, when I would usually screw it to the wall this time I use what we would call French Cleats. I also ran across some dover tailed Drawer carcuses at a flea market for 50 cents a piece and just got done screwing them into drawers for my main bench.

Yea some laugh at you for using peg board but I think its the best

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have lived in my current home since June of 2006. My 24×24 garage shop has been rearranged on a bi monthly basis since then. The wife has been known to come out there and ask me when I plan on building something and why our garage has nicer furniture than the house.

My workshop is something I am very proud of and I cherish my time in it. I like anything in the shop, cabinets, tool boxes, router table etc, to look good and be well built.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Most shops are in a constant state of flux because we see that by moving this over here and that over there it will make our work flow much easier … or keeps the shop cleaner and so on.
But I know folks that have had their tools in the same spot for 10 years … So this only goes to show that some people have a 'that's good enough for who it's for' attitude and others have 'That's good, but I can improve it attitude'. ... Then we update our storage systems …
So to answer your question, Yep, we all do it to some degree.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.