LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi,

I have a store on ebay that sells offcuts of UHMW, Delrin, teflon and various Nylons. The link is in my profile.

I'm actually here to do some research.

Anyways, a gentleman over on one of the Google groups suggested that woodworkers were looking for a source of Formica. He thinks that it's tough to get small pieces.

So I thought I'd ask around and see if this is something I should be stocking. I may have a source available that could provide some nice pieces (we'd be talking 15" x 24, maybe.

Any suggestions as to price, etc, would be welcome.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Someone had a bunch to offer a year or so back (Like piles in his backyard)- not sure what became of it… but I suppose it could be handy in jigs or something if it was similar to the High Molecular Weight Plastic that Rockler et al sell, which I'm guessing it is. Some pen turners might use a little too - but we're talking 1×1x5" pieces there.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Shorts of formica can make a good shim for router table outfeed fences in jointing work. And I have used UHMW blocks as drawer guides in small boxes. Thanks for the tip on sourcing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I WAS wondering why an experienced woodworker would have problems finding this material when this gentleman mentioned it, but it's quite possible that he just doesn't have the right connections.

I have a company in town that does a huge amount of business in countertops, so there would be ample supply.

The shipping is somewhat of a concern, but I suppose this stuff would roll up - it's been so long since I used any, I don't know if they've thinned it down or not.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I have a small bunch or 2' x 4' pieces I bought at the borg(Big Orange Retail Giant) for around $2.50 each.
I'm not sure that would be profitable for you or your customers unless the e-bay, packaging, shipping were a lot less than they seem to be.

Bob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree that may be a serious issue, Bob.

I might be able to get around that if I offered assortments of 10 pieces or so. I also wholesale to Lee Valley and Woodcraft, and it might be worthwhile to see if they'd want to take a swing at it.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Bob, you are a genius.
Unfortunately I weep for all the Mom & Pop hardware stores that have been assimilated. At least you could get helpful tips from the owners, and local hardware stores had the type of items needed for repairs for the older homes in a neighborhood they served. And they smelled interesting…
Sorry for the olfactory ramble, I'm sure Deb's daughter Jenn would get it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.