LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm thinking in particular your top-heavy tools. I have my drill press on a Port-a-Mate and my bandsaw on a Bora. The style is of the sort attached at the end of this post.

If you do bolt your tools down, do you go directly into the frame corners by boring new holes? Or do you add a sheet of plywood bolted to the provided holes in the mobile base corner and then custom drill holes in the plywood for mounting your tool?

Have you felt the tool having noticeably more stability after bolting it down?

This all seems incredibly challenging to fit, especially for a 350 lb bandsaw that is currently sitting in the mobile base.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Everything is bolted however you can do it. Keeps gear from walking off the stands.

I also adjust the stand heights so the work surfaces are a common measure - 34" - to match the saw top height. This means no lifting when moving work between stations and different station can act as extra work support.

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
I also make my plywood base plate a "larger" square/rectangle depending on which direction the tool might more easily tip. As you can see, the base plate is bolted to the mobile-base casters and then the tool/DP is bolted to the plywood base plate.

Composite material Gas Wood Bumper Auto part

Table Desk Tool Wood Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't bolt them down. Everything I have is on a mobile base to move as needed. The worst one is the drill press because it is top heavy. Just have to be extra careful with it. What I do is set the feet of the machine in the corners of the mobile base. I get some 6 or 8 inch rubber sewer pipe gaskets/couplers. Cut them into quarters and put them between the feet and mobile base. Isolates vibrations and nothing has ever moved within the base.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
I don't, not even the DP. Funny…I never even thought about bolting them down to the bases. It used to be a common warning not to put your DP in a mobile base due to the top heavy part, but it's not be a problem for me. You do need to be cautious moving it.

·
Premium Member
28,534 Posts
all my machines are on mb's except the drill press which just sits on the floor.none are bolted down,never even considered doing it.have never had an issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the thoughts so far!

I see one reference to this, but follow up question to those who don't bolt: Do you install the tool feet before putting the tool in the mobile base?

I find my tools are a tad wobbly even after attempting to level with the mobile base feet. I'm curious if installing the adjustable tool feet will help or just make things more wobbly.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I rarely move my bandsaw but its on a mobile base and unbolted. When assembling the base I put it where the band saw will get used the most and leveled it with the built in feet for the base. I tossed in a sheet of plywood scrap and loaded the base up with some weight. Not a ton…I think my track saw case and a couple cases full of hardware is all. I wanted just enough weight to take out any warp that might be in the base. The band saw sits nice and solid now…well it has some wobble when running but I attribute that to it being a Craftsman turd to begin with.

·
Registered
11,091 Posts
I have seen DP's on the ground before. A top heavy machine made worse with a large timber stretched across the table was the story on both I've seen.

Can't say I've seen other types of tools on the ground though, unless they were set there on purpose.

Kinda like most things, often no harm no foul, sometimes though it just happens.

About the "feet" if they make the tool more stable I use them, if they take something with a good solid base, and lift it up at 4 points I leave them off, they are just window dressing. The more contact in a flat plane that you have the better the stability. That has been my finding.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Mine are sort of 50/50 bolted down.
My band saw sits on a Rockler all terrain base. And it is not bolted down, and very stable.
My old drill press was bolted to a home made base. I am 6'-5", and my new drill press was way to short for me. No casters this time, but I did lift it up higher. I made a little larger base than what it came with, and it is very stable.
It is very rare that I move it, and my two wheel dolly handles that fine when I do.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Wood Tread

Floor Flooring Gas Electrical wiring Composite material

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.