LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
David, dbhost, steps on a nail. Was he wearing shoes? I hate shoes. And with this new knee in the works, I've been practicing using crutches and standing as long as I can. Trying to rebuild muscles that I'm going to need. Lost my balance, stepped forward and tore the nail off my right big toe. David, it has to be your fault. See what you started? lol
It made me think about how many are bare footing it, wearing flip-flops, tennis shoes, or do you suit up with steel toed boots and hard hats? Any hillbillies out there?

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
shoes , socks , barefoot ,

my shop is next to the bedroom/livingroom ,
depends on day/night time ,
and awake/asleep mode .

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I wear Dansko hard leather clogs w/ extra hard plastic soles - professional grade. I don't want sharp or heavy objects falling on my toes! They have a built in arch and you can slip them off to wiggle your toes and still have protection. Flip-flops are comfortable to stand on but don't give you any support and your feet need that when standing a long time.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Just a pair of old dock martins that i wore at work before having to retire. They really don't seem to wear out. As far as being a Hillbillie. Does a boy from Missouri count since I do have a southern draw, and love the Hills of the Ozarks.

·
Registered
499 Posts
they don't let you in woodworking class without steel tipped shoes. i basically wear them all the time, it is helpfull to rest heavy boards on yout shoetip and such. and the occasional board that falls that you can intercept with your feet safely.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
This Arkie wouldn't think of going down there without shoes. I typically wear an old pair of running shoes (so I won't be sad if I spill something on them) or a pair of Georgia work boots. The boots are best if I'm going to have a long session.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
mostly tennis shoes but sometimes boots when it gets really cold. i may live in the hills above denver but i ain't no Billy, unless wiping your hands off on your dog makes you a hillbilly.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Big clod hoppers LOL I just saw a survival tv show that two guys that hiked down and repelled of cliffs and waterfalls and went over rocky terrain and one was barefoot the whole time.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
I was wearing shoes. The accident happened in the yard. I stepped on a 2×4 that I had thought had been stripped clean… I found out the hard way it wasn't. I had to remove the nail, board and all from my foot…

I sure could use some steel SHANK boots though…

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
My bare footin and pregnant days are over. LOL
I wear good socks and solid leather shoes. I have a pair of tenner shoe type of steel toes as well.
I have to because of the nerve damage from a fall. So this Okie Flatlander stands sure footed in and out of the shop.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I got a pair of whatever the cheapest oil-resistant, lugged sole, "work shoes" was that Target had.

Went back and forth (Flip-flopped ??) about steel toes. I understand that … if something heavy enough falls ONTO the steel toe … that can be a Very Bad Thing.

Can't even remember if I eventually got the steel-toed version, or not.

For finishing stuff … I'm good with my flip-flops or Birkenstocks….

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I have a pair of steel-toe boots I wear for work; sometimes I am doing woodworking so I just continue wearing them. Most of the time I just wear chucks (tennis shoes).

I've occasionally worn lesser shoes - I have some weird foot problems (diabetes makes my feet feel like they are on fire, sometimes) - and I dislike the feeling of sawdust between my toes.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I use a pair of cowboy "work boots" w/ a heavy-duty lug sole usually. I like the combo because 1) No laces, which comes in handy at the in-laws (they take their shoes off) & airports, 2) they can be used for anything - theater, work or walking.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.