LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
I am trying to design a display case to hold a baseball and bat. It will be about
3' long, 8" high and about 5" deep. The front of the display case will be hinged
with glass captured in something like a rail/stile door frame. I am trying to decide
how to capture the glass in the frame. One option is to put a slot in the rails and stiles
and install the glass (once and for all) at glue up time. However, if the glass were
to break or need to be replaced for any reason the door would need to be rebuilt.
Another way would be to install the glass in a rabbet and hold it in place with a
small trim piece of some sort.

Is it common design practice to install glass permanently? If not, how is the retaining
trim attached to the frame to hold it in place. Thanks.

Tom

· Registered
4,420 Posts
I like the rabbet and trim idea. Making glass a permanent part of the door just sounds like frustration waiting to happen.

· Registered
1,083 Posts
For easy future glass replacement (when you need to) rabbet the back of the frames, mount the glass and attach the trim using the smallest escutheon pins or headless nails you can find. This way, you hide the trim that hold the glass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.