LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
With apologies for the blatant thievery of the snoose dispenser design, them Rockler Bench Cookies are right at hand:

Wood Shelving Paint brush Flooring Window

Kindly,

Lee

Attachments

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Peanut butter jars (or any clear plastic jar). Since I believe that peanut butter should be a food group anyway, we always have it around. They come in various sizes, are clear so it's easy to see what's in them, and they're an infinitely renewable resource. What's not to like. - lol

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice contributions all. Bob, next time I come to Montana, I'm going to show up and make you an offer on your stuff (I'm a Big Timber kid). That's my kind of stuff! And is there another drawer marked "copper plumbing pieces for drawer pulls"?

Sawkerf, what an elegant piece. Heirloom shop cabinetry.

Devann, how are the Rx bottles stuck on the wall?

And I want me them BorgoTower!

Kindly,

Lee

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Lee, I drill a small hole in the side near the top and hang them on a finish screw. This allows me to take the ones I think I'll need with me when I go off and work elsewhere. Many times I hear "come on I have everything you need" and when I arrive there is usually some fastener that was overlooked. Remember, be prepared. I was a Boy Scout.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Some nice ideas here. :)
McFeely's recently had a sale on their bins (15% off and $1 shipping) so I bought a bunch (72…) and I'll be making two cabinets that hold 36 each. Probably more storage space for hardware than I'll use in a long time. I currently use stanley storage boxes and they work well, but taking them off the shelf every time I need a particular screw is annoying. With the hardware cabinet I plan to build I just grab the bin I need and go.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Bins are good. I try to have an empty one on hand for keeping things organized while assembling projects.

Here's another reuse of an item for storage. A spice rack makes a good place for my marking instruments.

Wood Gas Machine Hardwood Shelving

Yep, that's a real cannon below the spice rack. It's made by Ron Barlow. He made the barrel from a bronze propeller shaft from a boat motor. The wheels he made from brass, the frame from oak. It shoots a .38 cal. ball.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
i bought 2 sliding metal drawers at a yard sale for $10 ea. new they are over $150. They didnt have the drawers so i made some out of scrap. Walnut fronts with soft maple sides. The boxes are finger jointed and finished with poly. Inside is just 1/4" ply cut down. I made the drawers double layered and waxed the top trays for easy sliding. All in all they were cheap and look nice in the shop
Grille Shelf Wood Shelving Automotive exterior

Rectangle Cuisine Ingredient Dish Recipe

Attachments

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ohmigosh. Dinnersnack and I went to the same garage sale evidently.

Cabinetry Drawer Gas Electronic device Machine

I use mine to store instrument parts.

Shelving Wood Machine Engineering Gas

Kindly,

Lee

Attachments

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Besides the usual bins and drawers storage, I use zip lock bags for awkward items. For example, I use the gallon size bag for storing a cordless battery charger out of the way. It keeps it clean and the cord doesn't get in the way. You can hang it on a nail on the wall or on the side of the workbench. I use a lot of small fasteners, 4-40, 6-32 machine screws, nuts, washers, etc and keep them in small pill bottles with identification labels on them.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I wanted to build a storage cabinet to go under my miter bench. I was on the way to the lumber yard when I stopped at a thrft store and saw this.

It has dove-tailed drawers with full extension ball bearing slides, 2 large file drawers, and five smaller ones, plus cabinet doors in the middle. It would have taken me months to build.

I paid twenty bucks. These boxes store under the added top. I put them on the bench top to keep track of things.

I guess the bottom one was a silver ware tray, but it's a neat little box. It expands on sliding dadoes when you need more room. Another two bucks well spent.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.