LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Not really sure what this type of hinge is called, but i saw this box online and thought it would be neat to add my own flair and build it as a surprise for my wife as a jewelry box.

Would there be a formula for determining the placement? I know i could make some templates from 1/4" luan and mess with it until i found it. Was just curious if there is an actual mathematical formula?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you made all 8 links the same length and placed the holes in the base and trays the same distance apart, the tray would stay parallel to the box through their travel. The hole-to-hole distance for each link would be L=sqrt(x^2 + y^2), where x is the horizontal distance when closed between holes and y is the vertical distance. Making the links longer will give a larger space when open, but more stress. The opening (per side) would be 2*x (same x as above).

Let me know if sketching it all out would help.

Scott

·
Registered
992 Posts
I agree with Scott. To make it maybe a little more visual. Notice that the hinge points, when closed, are lined up on the centers of the upper trays and the outer hinge points are equidistant from the ends (and from the centers, as Scott notes). The closer you get to the ends, the more of the bottom tray will be exposed when open but, as Scott says, the more unstable it will be.

I would experiment with blocks, sticks and nails in slightly oversized holes. Mark the hinge locations with the assembly in the closed position.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what i was thinking Yonak. Just make some "hinges" of the size I'd like, and since (i assume ) the holes don't matter on the hinges themselves, morose on the boxes, just use some tacs to find the right placement.

I was toying with the idea of trying to make the mechanism invisible, not sure how possible that would be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.