LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I want to make a funnel out of sheet metal for a project of mine. The largest diameter would be around 14", the smaller 8" and about 4" wide. I wanted to draw the shape on a piece of paper and transfer it onto the metal to cut. I don't know how the shape will appear or how to figure out the size of the drawing. I made a shape in sketchup of what I think it should look like before and after I bend the metal. Any ideas?

·
Registered
259 Posts
http://thesheetmetalshop.com/pdf_manual/WilliamNeubecker/William_Neubecker_7.pdf

the piece you describe is called a concentric reducer in the sheetmetal trade.
Look at figure 589 on page 6….

Draw centerline then make two marks at points D and C thatll be your 4" length.
then draw a 90deg lines to the right representing the radius' of both ends of your reducer(points D to E being 4" and C to F being 7").
Next use a straight edge across points E and F and let it intersect the centerline and scribe a line to create point H.
Set a divider on points H and E and scribe a 360 deg circle then set divider on points H and F and scribe circle.
multiply smaller diameter times pi to get circumference (25-1/8).
Set divider to 1 inch and count out circumference in 1 inch (set divider to fraction at end) increments starting at point H and going counterclockwise on arc/circle.
scribe straight line from point H to end of smaller arc and through larger diameter arc. larger diameter's circumference will work itself out.
youll end up with a patttern that looks like the one DaveR posted with points E and F on the right side and points M and L on the left.
Cut it out and roll across you thigh till the ends meet. I do this for a living and could explain better by showing you so sorry to confuse if this doesnt make sense. The pattern to make a cone is similar.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. I got the template made, now I am going to cut the metal. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.