LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visiting Sam Maloof's House ... updated 12/28/07

I received tickets to the tour the Sam Maloof foundation from my in-laws for Christmas, and we headed out for the tour today. The house and workshop are located in Alta Loma, California about 35 minutes from my house. You can't take photos inside, but I took a few outside and through the windows.

The house and workshop were moved from their prior location in 2000. They built a new house as well as a little bookstore, and an art gallery.

View of the facilities with mountains in the background.

Passageway with bamboo.

A peek into the workshop.

Sam's garden gate.

Garden Gate Latch

A peek into the house.

The Furniture
As we toured the house we were allowed touch the furniture. I had seen many pieces at museums and in his auto-biography, but touching the work was amazing. The finish is flawless. Silky smooth and natural grain.

The finale: We got to sit in a Maloof armchair. Very comfortable; great lumbar support! I highly recommend a visit.

Supporting Art
Sam Maloof supports other people's art as well. It would be easy for a rich and famous guy to only say: look and me and my work. However, the house is filled with other people's art: local artists, both famous and up and coming artists, street artists, his friends. The foundation, in fac,t accepts art from unknown artists. Write a letter to Sam for consideration in the new gallery.

Using what you have

Sam reminds me of my wife's grandfathers who would be/ are from the same generation. Nothing is or was wasted, and they would never live outside of their means.

When Sam was starting out, the house was a tiny guest keepers cottage. He had no furniture until he made some. According to the tour, he refused to go into debt to buy wood or expand his home. Therefore the house is built with recycled materials galore. Also, the early pieces are made of less wood then you would think. His early kitchen table has a cork top, and then many of these pieces were upholstered. Now that he has money, he works in exotic hardwoods as well as the traditional walnut.

--
If you have never read his auto-biography, it is a great picture of his early life and influences with a strong theme of the love and support his wife offered him as a woodworker. Very inspiring.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts

I received tickets to the tour the Sam Maloof foundation from my in-laws for Christmas, and we headed out for the tour today. The house and workshop are located in Alta Loma, California about 35 minutes from my house. You can't take photos inside, but I took a few outside and through the windows.

The house and workshop were moved from their prior location in 2000. They built a new house as well as a little bookstore, and an art gallery.

Passageway with bamboo.

Sam's garden gate.

Garden Gate Latch

A peek into the house.

The Furniture
As we toured the house we were allowed touch the furniture. I had seen many pieces at museums and in his auto-biography, but touching the work was amazing. The finish is flawless. Silky smooth and natural grain.

The finale: We got to sit in a Maloof armchair. Very comfortable; great lumbar support! I highly recommend a visit.

Supporting Art
Sam Maloof supports other people's art as well. It would be easy for a rich and famous guy to only say: look and me and my work. However, the house is filled with other people's art: local artists, both famous and up and coming artists, street artists, his friends. The foundation, in fac,t accepts art from unknown artists. Write a letter to Sam for consideration in the new gallery.

Using what you have

Sam reminds me of my wife's grandfathers who would be/ are from the same generation. Nothing is or was wasted, and they would never live outside of their means.

When Sam was starting out, the house was a tiny guest keepers cottage. He had no furniture until he made some. According to the tour, he refused to go into debt to buy wood or expand his home. Therefore the house is built with recycled materials galore. Also, the early pieces are made of less wood then you would think. His early kitchen table has a cork top, and then many of these pieces were upholstered. Now that he has money, he works in exotic hardwoods as well as the traditional walnut.

--
If you have never read his auto-biography, it is a great picture of his early life and influences with a strong theme of the love and support his wife offered him as a woodworker. Very inspiring.
It just feels like a home! Thanks John.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

Passageway with bamboo.

Sam's garden gate.

Garden Gate Latch

A peek into the house.

The Furniture

Supporting Art

Using what you have

--
Cool tour Giz. Thanx for shareing!

·
Registered
68 Posts

Passageway with bamboo.

Sam's garden gate.

Garden Gate Latch

A peek into the house.

The Furniture

Supporting Art

Using what you have

--
Man what an awesome experience, thanks for sharing the pictures

·
Registered
158 Posts

Passageway with bamboo.

Sam's garden gate.

Garden Gate Latch

A peek into the house.

The Furniture

Supporting Art

Using what you have

--
It is quiet an insperation being there at his shop and house.Did you get to meet Sam?He does "a day with Sam Maloof "at his house also ,I think like 3 times a year I have been to that once and would highly recomend it

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Passageway with bamboo.

Sam's garden gate.

Garden Gate Latch

A peek into the house.

The Furniture

Supporting Art

Using what you have

--
No meeting. Just the tour. I saw the class listed through Riverside Extension but is already full. I will keep looking. He is about to turn 92, so I gotta get on it.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Passageway with bamboo.

Sam's garden gate.

Garden Gate Latch

A peek into the house.

The Furniture

Supporting Art

Using what you have

--
Yeah make sure if you can get in I'd do it,you will love it.It fills up VERY quick though so keep your eye out for it.I will try and post some pictures from the class

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

Passageway with bamboo.

Sam's garden gate.

Garden Gate Latch

A peek into the house.

The Furniture

Supporting Art

Using what you have

--
Thanks for sharing the tour!

·
Registered
641 Posts

Passageway with bamboo.

Sam's garden gate.

Garden Gate Latch

A peek into the house.

The Furniture

Supporting Art

Using what you have

--
That was a great gift from you in-laws. I have tour envy.

As for as the day-with-Sam Maloof thing, I think there may be a list you can get on for email notification. One of the members of our woodworking guild was lucky enough to get that experience. I think he mentioned in a newsletter article that is how he found out.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts

Passageway with bamboo.

Sam's garden gate.

Garden Gate Latch

A peek into the house.

The Furniture

Supporting Art

Using what you have

--
You're killing me.

KILLING ME!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts

Passageway with bamboo.

Sam's garden gate.

Garden Gate Latch

A peek into the house.

The Furniture

Supporting Art

Using what you have

--
What a wonderful gift. I'd consider it better than a museum tour, because it is (was) lived in.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts

Passageway with bamboo.

Sam's garden gate.

Garden Gate Latch

A peek into the house.

The Furniture

Supporting Art

Using what you have

--
Thanks, John, for including us in your experience.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Passageway with bamboo.

Sam's garden gate.

Garden Gate Latch

A peek into the house.

The Furniture

Supporting Art

Using what you have

--
What an awesome experience. Thanks John.

·
Registered
334 Posts

Passageway with bamboo.

Sam's garden gate.

Garden Gate Latch

A peek into the house.

The Furniture

Supporting Art

Using what you have

--
I have toured Sam's place and have been there many times since he lives not far from me.. I can't tell you how inspiring it is to be among the master..it makes you just want to run home and start woodworking..lol.. beautiful pictures and glad you had a great time..

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mission Furniture: How to Build It

If you have never checked it out, Mission Furniture: How to build it, by H. H. Windsor (Popular Mechanics) is a neat little book. I have a copy but you check out the page I was working from here

I drew the Hall Chair pictured in the book.

It is very Limbert in style.
This was hard for me to sketchup due to that angles. If anyone has any good advice about how to do cutouts in an angled piece please let me know.

I have been playing more with Sketchup Styles and animations. See more animation here. Music by me. If I sold furniture this would be a neat way to demonstrate to a customer.

http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=55430

·
Registered
236 Posts

If you have never checked it out, Mission Furniture: How to build it, by H. H. Windsor (Popular Mechanics) is a neat little book. I have a copy but you check out the page I was working from here

This was hard for me to sketchup due to that angles. If anyone has any good advice about how to do cutouts in an angled piece please let me know.

I have been playing more with Sketchup Styles and animations. See more animation here. Music by me. If I sold furniture this would be a neat way to demonstrate to a customer.

I like the video--and the chair!

Me thinks I should learn to do the animation in sketchup.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

To do the animation you just set up different scenes with the scenes menu. Add a scene. Orbit the piece. Save the scene. Repeat. Then choose Edit>Export> Animation. Done.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts

Giz
Nice Sketchup work! I like the style you got going..in the piece and in your render. As far as angles go you can get the inferences to snap parallel to another line. That way you can get your cutout sides to be parallel to the angled sides. You start your cutout side line where you want it, and then you hover your curser over the side edge and when you return to drawing the cutout side the LINE inference will turn purple, and the box should say parallel to edge.
Photobucket

Photobucket

That way you will be drawing your cutout sides parallel to your object sides. I love the sketchy style you picked…looks really hand drawn. Nice work…

·
Registered
9,848 Posts

sweet posting … I have always loved the chair too, a classic design

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

That was a good, "watch," Giz! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.