LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi; you have helped me out before (with almost this same problem). I have a 1940's Delta Milwaukee 6" joiner, the tables are coplaner when I put a good stright edge on them, but when I try to join an edge I get one maybe tow cuts then I see the back end of the board gong up.
The last time I had a problem the the tables were out, and we shimmed the back table and everything was fine. Now I'm cutting tapers again. I had the knifes sharppened, and put them back in without moving the back table. things worked fine for three or four projects, then went bad.
Any thoughts on this would be most welcome.

Thanks Joel

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Reset your knives. When you put in fresh or newly sharpened knives, they are fine… but after a fairly short period of time, the thin leading edge will wear back a bit.. it only takes a couple thousandths.

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
669 Posts
If the trailing end of your board is sniping then check your out feed bed with a straight edge over the knives while hand rotating. You may have one or more knives set too high. If all 3 raise the bed, if 2 raise the low 1, if one is high readjust it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi. Thanks to both of you, I reset the knifes and that did the trick.
Thanks again. LJ is a wonderful source, now I need to make more sawdust.
Joel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.