LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
41 - 60 of 296 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
On the lowes website it says that they will match % off coupons so I took the 25% off coupon to the check out told them their " lowes website" website said they matched and the checkout gal called a supervisor and they looked to see that the coupon was legit and rung me up! Before I went in I called and asked if they matched coupons and they said they did not! That was before I looked on their web site. I would say that you go in with your coupon and " tell them they match it" instead of ask. And when they give you problems show them their website" good luck!

· Registered
10 Posts
Finding this thread is timely as I spotted this Delta in Lowe's earlier today. Overall, I was thoroughly impressed - especially at the price point - and if I can get them to honor my (just printed) HF 20% coupon, it's hard to imagine a better deal. Thanks for the valuable feedback!

EDIT: Ice99 (or anyone else in the know) - Where on Lowe's website is the % coupon matching mentioned? I'm sure I'm staring blindly at it but any help would be appreciated! :)

· Registered
130 Posts
Just checked Lowes website. They state that where a competitor offers a % discount they will match the net price of the competitor for an identical item. There is no mention of matching a blanket % discount on anything.

· Registered
236 Posts
At that price point, the Delta actually looks like a decent saw.

Alternatively, this is the kind of saw that money buys:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWE7491RS-10-Inch-Jobsite-Capacity/dp/B00F2CGXGG/ref=sr_1_50?ie=UTF8&qid=1389132049&sr=8-50&keywords=contractor+table+saw

I know there are plenty of naysayers, but as a contractor that saw could quickly pay for itself. I have a smaller portable saw and a big old Unisaw, but the saw posted occupies a legitimate niche between the two.

This saw is not for woodworkers, the market is contractors like me. As a professional carpenter, my opinion is that Delta probably has a good chance of success, with their target market, with this product.

· Registered
1 Posts
Same here, I wentt to Lowes and was impressed with this Delta 36-725 table saw. I plan to buy myself one at this similar price range and not ready to buy $3k saw.
With this price, would you purchase this Delta 36-725 or DeWalt DWE7491RS ? I see both have nice features which is good for start up woodworking projects.
Does higher RPM has more advantage like DeWalt has 4800 RPM or Delta's 3450 is sufficient enough for hardwood/softwood projects?
DeWalt has 15amps and Delta has 13amps. Does that make any difference due to HP and cooling?

Let me know which I should get?

· Registered
7,008 Posts
NRThompson,

Looks like it is NOT Square to table to me…

Looks like the blade should be tilted a tad more to the Right to fill the Light gap at bottom.

· Registered
8,321 Posts
I still haven't seen one setup at our Lowes, but from the pics it's not clear that this is a belt drive saw with an induction motor. Can someone who's run it, seen it, or read it confirm? TIA!

· Registered
5,965 Posts
Scott, I haven't seen one at our Lowe's, either, but Delta's website page does say "Quiet, effiecient belt drive". I still have lots of questions about the saw, as well, so have been following this thread. Can't wait to see what the guys that have purchased have to say after using for a bit.

· Registered
8,321 Posts
Thanks JayT….it's still possible to put a small cogged belt on a universal motor, and call it belt drive. The pic doesn't look like an induction motor, but it's hard to tell. I'm not even remotely in the market, but am just try to get the whole scoop on this saw!

· Registered
5,965 Posts
Yeah, that is possible. Didn't really think about that angle. You are right, the pic above sure doesn't look like an induction motor, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm not in the market either, but the company I work for has to compete against Lowe's and it's also possible we may have a customer want to special order this saw from Delta, so I would like all the information at my disposal to help them make a good decision.

· Registered
16 Posts
There was a little wobble (.01") in the blade at first, but in my experience it was no better or worse than other contractor saws I used Mathias' techniques to flatten the arbor flanges and got it down to about .002" so it is quite acceptable now. I had to do he same thing to my Ridgid. As far as the blade raising, mine actually moved in the other direction (away from the fence) when I got it, there is an adjustment set screw on the guide post that corrects this.

It is definitely an induction motor (Phase 1 3450 RPM etc), not sure why they don't use the horsepower rating but if I had to guess, it's probably that they are typically selling to people used to buying things with universal motors. (just a wild guess, god know what these marketing guys are thinking.) There IS a small enclosed belt directly under the arbor. the motor is mounted parallel to the arbor, I have it apart right now to work on the dust collection, so Ill take more pics this weekend and upload them.

I have decided that I am going to remove the dust collection and take advantage of the motor being inside the box and seal it up and put a 4" dust port in the bottom. After using it a bit, I find that the dust collection shroud inside is a bit in the way for blade changes and if small pieces fall down there, it is really difficult to get them out. Also, while the dust collection is pretty good for a Lowe's factory feature, and would be very adequate if I were using it more as a mobile saw, there is still a bit more free range dust than I would like, and being the most used tool in the shop, I need to upgrade it a bit.

· Registered
8,321 Posts
"I am still curious to hear how closely related the guts of this saw are to the Porter Cable PC270TS that it is replacing at Lowes."

From what I've been able to glean from pics, they don't look overly similar….table vs cabinet mounted trunnions, albeit fairly light duty cabinet mounted trunnions.

Delta pics shown above:
Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Auto part

PCB270TS:
!

Attachments

· Registered
16 Posts
Here are some more pics of it all disassembled.
Belt Drive
Gas Machine tool Engineering Automotive tire Machine

Induction motor
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive design Auto part Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Motor vehicle Audio equipment

Cast aluminum trunions
Furniture Chair Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper Machine tool

Also, the wheels can be reversed (I plan on doing this since I think it would be easier o access once I have a table built for the right side.) Here is a pic of how I am sealing it up to add a dust chute to the bottom of the box to maximize the suction at the point of cut.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire Wood

Attachments

41 - 60 of 296 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.