LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
281 - 296 of 296 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
I picked up this saw at my local Lowe's the day after Christmas, and initially I was very pleased with it. However, the motor seemed to take a long time to spool up, the alignment of the blade to the miter slots was around 0.015" (and measured differently depending on what slot I measured from), and there was a slight hump in the table right above the arbor. After talking with Delta, I brought the table saw back to Lowe's and traded for another one. I'm still in the midst of setting it up all over again, but things are looking cheerier. The motor starts right up, and the alignment is only out by 0.003" (same from each slot). My only complaint is that there seems to be the same little rise on the table in the same spot. But I don't think its worth starting all over again. My father manages a machine shop and I work at a pretty large service shop myself. I'm hoping between the two of us we can address any issue there might be with flatness.

I can report that putting the saw together a second time is faster. I recommend putting on the front and back rails first, then the extension wings afterward. I feel like there was less fiddling using this method.!

Table Gas Engineering Composite material Folding table
!

Attachments

· Registered
14 Posts
Just purchased this yesterday, could not be happier. 5 year warranty, true flat top, and when I fired it up the first time , oh my the differene the motor sound is compared to my old craftsman contractor aluminum top that would not know a flat spot unless a sledge hammer made one.

My only issue has been the dust port. Don't have a shop vacuum setup, and did not like the dust flying out the. Port or when I did try and use a small shop vacuum the dust went straight up the blade. So removed the dust deflector and let it drop el natural. Now have to make a saw dust bin collector underneath.

But what a difference!

· Registered
14 Posts
Just called the SC Custumer Service and talked to one of their Reps about the deflector, he would not give me a straight answer as to if removing the deflector will void the warranty, but said it was good for the motor to leave it on.

So here is my question to those that have been using this saw, has anyone been using it without the deflector? Has anyone had problems with the with saw dust around the gears. I can put the deflector back on, butI would rather not, and just let the dust drop to a catch box with a cheap shop vac pulling down the dust, if that makes sense.

Any helpful comments welcomed on this!

· Registered
1,468 Posts
Unless you used an under powered shop vac I don't see why you are having an issue with the dust port. I've use mine hooked up to a shop-vac and also a larger dust collection vac and have had no issues with the saw dust not being extracted. Without using a shop-vac the saw-dust does not exit the dust port very well. If you are not going to use a vac then I can see the benefit of removing the dust collection shield for the saw dust to fall away. The motor is sealed so I'm not sure how removing the dust shield would have any impact on the motor. This is just my opinion and have not used the saw without the saw dust collection shield and port.

· Registered
14 Posts
Thanks WhyMe for the reply. I did hook up my shopvac, but either the it just doesnt suck or another problem could be that my hose was just not wide enough may have been a contributing factor.

I may after thinking about see about hooking a collector box with a port for my vacuum to take it the rest of the way out. Still doodling until I find what works for me. But again, love the saw!

· Registered
14 Posts
Problem Solved, after pondering, scratching watch, and winding my butt, I determined that a white foriegn object was the ills to my woe. I opened the exhaust shroud (removed the blue dust port) and found a white piece of styrofoam that must have come off when I was removing the saw from the box.

Reinstalled the dust shroud, hooked up my HomeDepot 5.5 Shop VAC, adapted from 4 to 2.5 inches, and proceeded to make wood cuts with no blow back or unneeded saw dust.

This is to me the best table saw for the money to me I believe I could have purchased.

Now to make new table saw jigs and find a home for that Craftsman Saw!

· Registered
2 Posts
Need help with the saw -

I had to disassemble the height adjust mechanism and did not bother documenting how to reassemble all the washers and springs back on thinking it's shows up on delta's PDF schematic … well, it doesn't :)

Can someone please take a good picture of the rod that comes out of the engine unit to the adjuster knob that shows all the washers, springs and spacers?

Thanks

· Registered
9,254 Posts

Attachments

· Registered
1,468 Posts
On the gear end it's the gear then a thick flat washer then a thin spring washer then a second thick flat washer then the bracket. In the picture of the circled area the gap between the 2 washers at the gear end is where the spring washer is. Not sure if you need more info than that.

To expand on the info… the bracket tab on the left, on the right side of the tab is a sleeve with a set screw then a washer not much larger than the diameter of the sleeve against the bracket. On the left side of the bracket is a thick washer the same size as the washers at the gear end, then what I assume is a long sleeve to the handle.

· Registered
14 Posts
After almost a year of owning this saw I am still very happy! The only thing I am considering is building a saw dust collection box underneath that has a vacuum port to pull dust. My reasoning for this is that with a good vacuum pulling attached, I still get saw dust all over, I think I would be better off just collectingt he dust. I have seen a couple of Delta's moddified this way, has anyone else tried it?

· Registered
1,468 Posts
After almost a year of owning this saw I am still very happy! The only thing I am considering is building a saw dust collection box underneath that has a vacuum port to pull dust. My reasoning for this is that with a good vacuum pulling attached, I still get saw dust all over, I think I would be better off just collectingt he dust. I have seen a couple of Delta s moddified this way, has anyone else tried it?

- Amoc
Have you seen this thread?
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/128674

· Registered
1 Posts
I have had my saw for approximately 2 years now. I am thinking about removing the dust chute and installing a Rockler Contractor Table Saw Dust Bag. I don't like having to remove my shop vac all the time when I need to clean up. Has anyone done this and how? I had the dust bag on my last saw and liked it a lot. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, sorry to revive the old thread, but this has been very helpful. I'd originally purchased an R4512, but the blade alignment issue on mine - even with the "II" stamped on the trunnion - is horrible. Long story short, the design just isn't good - hanging a heavy motor off of a single pivot point like that, then subjecting it to more force from the blade raise/lower screw. I could get within .003" in some locations, and then get a .025" deflection in others. Ridiculous.

Anyway, I wanted to check - for the 36-725, which so far seems like what I'm going to get, how's the alignment? Specifically, raise/lower, tilt all the way to 45, then raise/lower… staying straight the whole time?

Thanks a ton for all the comments!

281 - 296 of 296 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.