LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
11,255 Posts
Contractor saws do not usually have wheels unless you add a mobile base. Makita calls their machine a contractor saw but it's really a bench saw on wheels.

· Registered
11,255 Posts
This Delta is too new and there are too many variables with the new ownership for anyone to make predictions. Historically Delta has produced excellent saws and beginning with the Unifence then Biesemeyer acquisition their fences have been 2nd to none. No personal experience with the T2 (which this fence should be based on) but by all reports it is an accurate and reliable fence. The Rigid is a pretty good saw for the money but with the alignment issues I would look hard at alternatives. No experience with the Rigid fence either but people do tend to upgrade.

The new Delta seems aimed more at contractor/light woodworking duty hence the lightweight and wheels. It will be interesting to read reviews once some of these get sold.

· Registered
11,255 Posts
Thanks Tyler. I have to say that after seeing the pics I'm pretty impressed considering the price. 13A, maybe the same 12.8A motor they've used for years which has proven to be extremely reliable. The throat plate looks identical to my Delta Contractor. The local Lowes doesn't have one yet but I'm hoping they get one soon so I can take a look.

· Registered
11,255 Posts
I looked over the one at Lowes today and overall I am pretty impressed. The fence is solid and I didn't detect any flex just pushing on it, it glides smoothly and locks securely. The top was polished, the edges smooth and painted, the front edge is beveled. The blade traveled up/down/tilt smoothly with no appreciable play. It has storage for the fence and miter gauge when not in use that is much improved over my 90's Delta. The rail is split but interlocks and there was no give or flex in it. The blade guard is better than my 90's model, has a riving knife and anti-kickback pawls. The insert is stamped 1/8" stamped steel about 3/8" tall (from what I could tell), adequate to the task; unfortunately it was screwed down. I did get down on a knee look up inside from the bottom but the dust collection hood covered most of the innards. The base has feet and is rock solid, you could dance on it. Overall the fit and finish were excellent. I was going to take pics but couldn't find an angle that hadn't already been photographed.

· Registered
11,255 Posts
the only reason I can see is that it would not fit in the box

That's actually a pretty substantial reason from a manufacturing, distribution, and retail viewpoint.

· Registered
11,255 Posts
@dbmguy, you mentioned liking this saw better than your 20 year old Delta contractor and I'm curious if you can provide specifics about what you like better, as I have a 15 y.o. Delta contractor. Which model did you have? Thanks.

· Registered
11,255 Posts
Thanks for the info, that was exactly what I was looking for. I'm pretty happy with my 36-477 but it was an upgraded model to begin with, but if it ever went T.U. I might consider one of these.

· Registered
11,255 Posts
I gave up on the flush bit routing and just cut to width on the tablesaw, round the ends with a bandsaw or jigsaw, then sand to the line with a disc sander.

Alternatives to routing a channel:
1) clamp the insert above your existing insert and raise the blade
2) Rip a channel half the thickness from the back.
3) Rip all the way through a little more than halfway the length of the insert. Most people will then glue a strip of wood the width of their blade into the back end of the slot as a homemade splitter.

This assumes your arbor doesn't hit the insert, not a problem on my Delta but it is with some saws.

Also a good idea to label your inserts unless all your blades are exactly the same width.

· Registered
11,255 Posts
It used to be listed under table saws. When looking I just noticed that Delta has revived the Homecraft brand, maybe it will be rebranded and put there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.