LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
The pulley on my Delta planer came loose and wobbled the belt off ruining the belt guard and the belt. Of course this model planer is now listed as obsolete and I can't find anyone that still carries the blade guard. The blade guard looks like this and it covers the belt and the pulleys. I am wondering if the planer can be run without the belt guard. Thanks. Tom

Automotive exterior Rectangle Bumper Fashion accessory Auto part

Attachments

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
No, it is not safe to run the planer without the guard. I couldn't find the part either. You might have to repair the cover, or have one fabricated.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
I am wondering if the planer can be run without the belt guard.

Of course it can.. just not quite as safely :)

Or you can try to fix the one you have.. doesn't look too bad off and should be pretty easy to fix with some creative thinking and maybe a litlle epoxy.

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's an internet picture. The back cover on my belt guard melted off. The sides and front are intact I may try to fix it with some epoxy.

·
Registered
7,831 Posts
If it's just the large back part that melted… and the mounting screw tabs are intact, perhaps you could make a wood piece to fit over the hole?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My redneck solution was to place the guard on wax paper and put the remaining back part of the guard in place and then I JB Welded the heck out of it. It settled nicely and the guard is back in service. It looks a little hinky but it works.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hardware store flashing can be put together with "pop rivets" to replace the broken/melted part. All it is for is to keep your jacket from getting caught. . . . .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.