LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a Delta 35-7670 8-Inch Stacked Dado Set that I really like. I got it for ~$100 on special, and I don't think the Amazon link I put in here is the best price, so look around. I think you should be able to find it for ~$120 if prices are similar to when I bought mine, and I think the set is worth it considering the four tooth chippers and the good quality organization of the case (I know this sounds like a tiny, irrelevant feature, but it really does make a huge difference in how easy it is to work with). I haven't used the other blades talked about here, but so far I am very pleased with this set.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
The DeWalt/Delta 7670 is on sale from Grizzly for $90 plus s/h (~ $103 shipped). It replaced my Freud SD208…both are very good but the 7670 has twice as many teeth (cleaner cut), a nicer case, and nicer shim stock. Excellent bang for the buck IMO.

I'm hearing good things about the Oshlun 8", but haven't tried one. It mimics the design of the Systimatic Superfine S42Fine dado set and uses C4 carbide. Holbren offers 10% with "SMC10" code….add a small item and get free s/h on orders of $75.

If you're up to spending ~ $180, the Infinity Dadonator is the cat's meow.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
i won't recommend a particular brand since the only one I have experience with is quite pricy (over $200). However, I will comment that, most likely, it will be very rare that you need an 8" set. A 6" set is acceptable for 99% of what I need a dado set for. All things being equal - 6" costs less than 8".

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
So far, no one has suggested a "wobble" dado cutter, and they can give you decent dados. In addition to my Systi-Matic stackable cutter, I have a Craftsman wobble cutter that I often use when I don't need perfect dados (e.g. drawer boxes).

They're usually less costly, easy to use, and do an adequate job. if you can live with less than "dead flat" dado bottoms

·
Registered
640 Posts
I agree with previous suggestions on going with the Oshlun. It seems to get pretty good reviews and the 8" was on sale for $60 a while back at Rockler. You can maybe catch it on sale somewhere or go with the 6 in. if necessary. And I don't know if you've seen the set or not but it has full size chippers which a lot of people seem to like. I actually was going to buy this set when it was on sale at Rockler but by the time I got the ok from the Accounting Dept. (the wife), I had missed the sale. Since I don't need one urgently, I decided to try and wait for another sale or until I really need it. Anyway, good luck with your search.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.