LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3,582 Posts
I made a cyclone dust collector out of a 5 gallon bucket and it works but it whistles awful any ideas what it might be I checked for leaks but can't find any. I am attaching the bucket to my shop vac and have a 10 ft pick up hose. The noise stops when I remove the pick up hose. Any help will be appreciated thanks

Fluid Drinkware Cylinder Drink Gas

Attachments

· Registered
17 Posts
It might be that the long hose is causing to much resistance to the air flow due to the turbulence induced by the hose. If so, the whistling might be any possible opening in the spackle bucket flange seal drawing air. Each foot of hose causes air turbulence, and therefore resistance to flow of the air. Collapsible or ridged hose increases the turbulence versus a smooth wall hose. Your vacuum incoming CFM might be just overwhelming the delivery capacity of the bucket with the long hose attached. The resistance goes away when you remove the hose, and so does the whistle! You might need a slight bypass valve (hole) to allow more air to enter the bucket to augment the incoming air through the hose, just need to find the sweet spot where it doesn't reduce the suction.

· Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this bucket and lid are brand new from home depot. one of the fittings isn't glued in, can I use super glue, I don't wan't to get PVC cement it will go to waste. I cut the hose down but it still whistles

· Premium Member
10,523 Posts
If it is the lid seal, suction usually pulls it tight. I would think that it is where the PVC goes through the lid or possibly the hose is not a tight fit into the PVC. Some sort of caulk is the best option for sealing the fittings but a hot glue gun might work if you don't want to buy and potentially waste it. Other types of flexible glues would work too. For the hose, try wrapping a piece of tape around the nozzle to make it a tighter fit.

I am curious why the outlet is smaller? That constriction might reduce the suction.

· Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the sealing suggestions, the out let just looks bigger it has a reducer in it, that is the joint I need to glue I'll seal the others as well. the vacume hose is 1.5" but the attachment end is 1.25. I am going to sewe if I can find a conector that will replace the hose then I will make a short hose to the bucket

· Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update, I sealed all the fixture joints noise still present. the noise goes away when I put my hand over the hose end When I slowly remove my hand the noise starts when the end is about half open. Why is that thanks Mike

· Registered
2,546 Posts
A whistle is due to turbulence. A leak is a common source, but not always the only cause. Any sharp edge can act like a fipple.

If you think a bucket works like a real cyclone, just wait until you can try a real one like a dust deputy or ClearVIew. A magnitude better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.