LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
It refers to the ratio of alchohol to shellac. You probably won't have to worry about the cut unless you are mixing your own from shellac flakes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm usually pretty savy at math type situations but Barry you straight went straight over my head. I'm talking FL36 high.

So the process of cutting the shellac is to make it thinner obviously. Why would you want to make it thinner or not?

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
Juicegoose, cutting shellac is really dependent upon how you want to use it. A three pound cut is pretty hard to get a good finish with- especially if you are brushing or padding it on. A two pound cut flows on much easier.

Another reason to cut it is to tailor it for a specific use. A 1/2 to 1 pound cut, for example, could be used as a sizing application prior to staining for woods that are prone to blotching- pine, poplar for example. A two pound cut makes a good seal coat to prevent stain lift off or bleed into the finish coat. And I have used a two pound cut to build a finish as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.