LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
I saw a lovely quilted maple cutting board created by FJPetruso recently and I was really impressed. It got me thinking about using thick veneers on cutting boards. It takes less work to produce cutting boards using a thick 1/4" veneer, than it does to laminate a bunch of boards together, but it looks like a million bucks.

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/103368#comment-1860526

I wonder whether or not there will be structural issues with it, especially delamination. Granted, using the same species with the same seasonal movement rates will help, as will ensuring that the grain matches (not putting quartersawn on top of flatsawn). That said, cutting boards take an enormous amount of abuse, with constant introduction of moisture through washing.

What do you folks think, are veneers likely to delaminate on a cutting board? If so, what can be done to mitigate the issue?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
From my perspective when boards get that beautiful, they are not production workhorses that are going to get a lot of abuse. No board should ever be soaked or run through a dishwasher, and if the movement control measures you cite are observed and the board is regularly oiled I would say the board would last a lifetime.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.