LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
I know there are a lot of folks that review blades but I find most blades do fine I cut 4X8s all the time with a dewalt 60 tooth blade I have never had and issue with a blade unless it's dull or has less than 40 teeth.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
Turbine Tester said: "Forrest Woodworker II. Does EVERYTHING as good as any crosscut or rip blade."

Sorry TT, but I just can't agree with that statement. Forrest doesn't agree with that statement either, nor do Infinity, Freud, CMT, Systimatic, Amana, Tenryu, DeWalt, or any of the other makers of premium general purpose blades. Take a blade with similar precision as the WWII, add twice as many teeth, a steeper bevel grind, shallower hook angle, and the laws of physics simply dictate a cleaner cut….or take away half the teeth on the WWII, flat top the grind, and it'll unquestionably cut thicker material with less heat and great efficiency. The WWII is a good all around blade and may be "good nuff" for most applications, but it won't hang with the better fine crosscut or bulk rip blades in their respective areas of "expertise".

Now, if you were to pit the WWII against some of the less reputable crosscut and rip blades, then I might be inclined to agree with you.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I humbly withdraw my recommendation. It was foolish of me to make such an absolute statement in the first place, especially in the prescence of all the expertise. i should have qualified my statement with "In my experience…" And i see that i actually linked to the 30T version, when i meant to link the 40T version. My apologies.

knotscott, you obviously have much better knowledge of this subject than i do! :) I will say that in my experience, the WWII has done very well for my requirements, which, i'll readily admit, are most likely not as exacting or demanding as many others. I based my recommendation on my experience in upgrading from a junk Tradesman Blade (stock on my first contractor saw) to the WWII and it was like night and day. I also based what i said on the recommendation of the Wood Whisperer, who uses the WWII as the only blade in his shop, if i recall correctly. And he cuts everything from plywood to figured wood. I just think that for the price of the WWII you can get a great blade that at the very least is "good nuff" for lots of tasks if not excellent, without having to purchase more blades. If i was ripping or crosscutting MANY bf of stock, i would probably entertain getting a high quality dedicated blade for the task.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.