LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
It all depends on what "The Boss" says. After 33 years I leave the design up to my wife and simply stick to "engineering". If she says replace it I just say "Yes, dear". :)

But now would be a good time to do so if you are planning on it. I have a house that I am in the middle of replacing the trim and flooring right now and we are "discussing" replacing the doors since they are hollow core and I prefer solid doors. But I will simply do as the boss says.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'm doing the same. I've upgraded my trim from a plane pattern K 2 1/4" casing to a fancier 3 3/8" trim. The similar plane 3 1/4' base is now a much nicer 5 1/2" ogee toped style. My crown is 7 3/4" wid,e not the small Lowes or HD types available. And I'm changing my plane hollow core doors for a solid wood 6 panel look with an oiled finish. All trim is painted.

Up grading to a better look is always a great idea if the pocket book can afford. Except as Papadan sez, you have old period quality doors.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The doors are your basic cheap hollow core. I do not want to put to much money into it because we are planning to move in a copy of years but I would like it to look nice. Hey papadan, I'll trade you.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Even hollow core doors of 20 years ago are way better than what's offered today. During the 25 years I did finish carpentry and cabinets there was a steady fall in material quality. I quit carpentry after an injury in 2000 that left me with one gimpy arm. Looking at stock in lumber yards since then has made me somewhat glad to be away from the trade, the quality of materials has taken an even more rapid decline since I quit. Keep your doors, they're better than even the best ones available today.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I replaced all my hollow core doors with 6 panel solid wood doors, but I'm not planning on moving any time soon. I don't know if I would spend big $$ on new doors if I was planning on moving soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.