LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting Started

For my first hardwood project, I've decided to honor my lovely wife who lets me spend countless hours in the garage playing around. She's a budding quilter, so I'm going to build 3 matching quilt racks-one for her, one for her quilting buddy, and one for my mother who also quilts.

As of today, I've got a bunch of 3/4 thick white oak sitting in my lumber rack and wishing I had a jointer and planer to work with it. Fortunately, I have a friend who's a much more experienced woodworker who's going to come over, look at the wood with me, and I hope give me some guidance over what to do next-cut to rough sizes then mill or mill, then cut to rough size.

This will also mark the first project with my new Craftsman 21806 table saw, as recommended by Wood magazine in their most recent issue. I wish I had the garage space for a cabinet saw, but until I do this portable will have to do.

My in-laws are visiting for a week starting Wednesday, so it may be some time before I have anything worth reporting to share.

13,555 Posts
Getting Started

For my first hardwood project, I've decided to honor my lovely wife who lets me spend countless hours in the garage playing around. She's a budding quilter, so I'm going to build 3 matching quilt racks-one for her, one for her quilting buddy, and one for my mother who also quilts.

As of today, I've got a bunch of 3/4 thick white oak sitting in my lumber rack and wishing I had a jointer and planer to work with it. Fortunately, I have a friend who's a much more experienced woodworker who's going to come over, look at the wood with me, and I hope give me some guidance over what to do next-cut to rough sizes then mill or mill, then cut to rough size.

This will also mark the first project with my new Craftsman 21806 table saw, as recommended by Wood magazine in their most recent issue. I wish I had the garage space for a cabinet saw, but until I do this portable will have to do.

My in-laws are visiting for a week starting Wednesday, so it may be some time before I have anything worth reporting to share.
Sounds like a good project.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Construction almost complete

Well, construction of the first rack is nearly complete. I've got the sides done (except for inlaying a dark strip up the center of both sides to hide what would otherwise be some "signature" elements) and just need to complete the keys and holes in the tenons for the keys. That's today's project.

I'm planning to give the whole thing a once-over with my RO sander when I'm done and then use wiping varnish to finish it. Today I'm also planning to work up a board with several different stain/varnish combinations to see what looks good.

Thanks for all the help and support!

·
Registered
8,904 Posts

Well, construction of the first rack is nearly complete. I've got the sides done (except for inlaying a dark strip up the center of both sides to hide what would otherwise be some "signature" elements) and just need to complete the keys and holes in the tenons for the keys. That's today's project.

I'm planning to give the whole thing a once-over with my RO sander when I'm done and then use wiping varnish to finish it. Today I'm also planning to work up a board with several different stain/varnish combinations to see what looks good.

Looks great so far - I look forward to seeing the finished project.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Dang, these 1/2" square mortises are hard, even with a 1/2" drill bit to cut away most of the waste and a 1/2" chisel to try to finish the job.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts

Bret this awful…awfully good ,really like the design and details well done.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

Looking good. I'm eager to see how you finish it.

·
Registered
13,760 Posts

i'm glad to see you stuck with it .
after all you went through !
it does get easier as you go ,
until you do something else ,
then it's a new learning curve again .
pretty soon you start anticipating things ,
and start thinking like the wood ,
then you will be proud to call your self a
blockhead . ( this is meant as humor )
realy nice , bret .keep 'em coming !

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Almost done with finish sanding

Tonight I've got a friend who's going to help me decide whether this is ready for finishing or not. I've sanded the heck out of it with my RO sander at 150 and 180 grit and am going over it all at 180 tonight by hand to try to get out any remaining scratches.

I decided to make the pegs or keys out of wenge to add a bit of contrast and (I hope) compliment the inlay. I'm also going over the pegs tonight with wood filler before finish sanding them tomorrow. Then it's two coats a day of wiping varnish until I leave for Iowa Wednesday morning to deliver the finished product to my mother for her (belated) birthday.

These pictures predate the sanding, so some of the tear out you can see near the top has been lessened or, at least, softened a bit.

photo

photo

How many coats of wiping varnish would you all suggest as a goal?

·
Registered
27,252 Posts

Tonight I've got a friend who's going to help me decide whether this is ready for finishing or not. I've sanded the heck out of it with my RO sander at 150 and 180 grit and am going over it all at 180 tonight by hand to try to get out any remaining scratches.

I decided to make the pegs or keys out of wenge to add a bit of contrast and (I hope) compliment the inlay. I'm also going over the pegs tonight with wood filler before finish sanding them tomorrow. Then it's two coats a day of wiping varnish until I leave for Iowa Wednesday morning to deliver the finished product to my mother for her (belated) birthday.

These pictures predate the sanding, so some of the tear out you can see near the top has been lessened or, at least, softened a bit.

photo

photo

Bret, when I cut poly to a 50:50 concentration for wiping I try to put a minimum of 4 coats on just to get a good build on the finish with 320 sanding between coats. After that it is just a matter of how the topcoat looks to me as to whether I add additional coats or not. During warm weather I can usually put another coat on every 4 to 6 hours.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts

photo

photo

Great progress I use the same finishing Scott does. Look forward to the finished quilt rack.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

photo

photo

Forgot to mention: I'm planning to stain it with a coat of General Finish Honey Maple, then a coat of American Walnut wiped thin. It was my wife's idea to blend the two. If mama ain't happy…. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.