LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tear down and inspection

My daughter was helping some people she knows clean out an old storage shed
and thought this would be something I would like to have.
Wood Automotive tire Bumper Road surface Gas

Taking it apart for cleaning and inspection.
Wood Gas Tool Saw Hardwood

Not sure whether to use a derusting solvent of some kind or wire brush and steel wool or maybe a sand blaster?
What ever the case might be Sears has no parts available. Motor and bearings will be the first hurdle.
Any suggestions or comments would greatly appreciated.
Wood Gas Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Tear down and inspection

Not sure whether to use a derusting solvent of some kind or wire brush and steel wool or maybe a sand blaster?
What ever the case might be Sears has no parts available. Motor and bearings will be the first hurdle.

Thanks for looking.
Bearings are usually a standard item that can be purchased at any local bearing store. Jus take the old one if you can get it out intact and tell the people to match it and sell you a new one. I buy bearings for my Sears router, Portable saw, drills and band saw. This isn't a problem. I don't think I would sand blast since this upsets material and would make the ways rough. I would try soaking large towels in vinegar and placing them on the lathe. You could try a small area at first and see how that works. If you could keep the tower wet with vinegar overnight it is supposed to remove rust. There are commercial rust removers but I have read that the vinegar trick is good. I haven't tried it yet but plan to do so. A motor can be bought at any store selling them. They could also be mail ordered. Be sure to buy a totally emclosed motor with the correct RPM and horsepower. I bought a motor that is not totally enclosed for a jointer once and still regret it. Wood chips get inside and I have to clean it periodically.

Attachments

13,555 Posts
Tear down and inspection

Thanks for looking.
Cool lathe!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.