LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
A while back a friend gave me his grandfather's jointer. It is a 1938 Craftsman model # 103.0502. After some research I have been able to locate an Owners Manual, and a copy of the page of the original Sears Catalog parts have not been available since the 40's, The tool is missing the fence and the knives. I can make a fence, but I would like to find a source for the knives. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
778 Posts
Those are pretty rare. They had a lead screw that micro-adjusted the fence position. That was made by Central Specialty (everything will say king-seeley, but kind-seeley didn't buy Central Specialty until 1945ish)

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you can get the dimensions for the knives, you should be able to get them from most sellers - for example www.holbren.com You will need the length, thickness and width, though you should be able to figure out the dimensions from the slots. I checked holbren and the closest he has listed is 4 x 5/8 by 1/8. If you can't find them anywhere else, you can use a 4 inch on a machine that takes 4 1/4 , though need to get the width and thickness right so the nuts can hold the knife in place. You can always email brian at holbren with your model number and see if he has an exact match.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, not sure if this thread is still active or not but I'll just post my question anyways. I just bought a Craftsman 103.0502 4-1/4" jointer from a local CL seller in pretty decent shape with both blade guards except there are a couple of nicks on the knives and I was wondering if they can be resharpened or do I need to replace them?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sure , they can be resharpened. As long as there is still enough meat to allow for it. If they've been sharpened a few times already , maybe not. Your sharpener can tell you quickly. That said , I've always found it cheaper to buy new knives. You've got to install and calibrate them either way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.