LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
OK, I need some help finding a design for a new fixture over our new table. I have plenty of scrap wood for something like this. I'm looking for a Craftsman/Prairie style, multiple socket fixture. Possibly something with opposing arms cantilevered out from the center. The center possibly being a larger light. I'd like the individual lights to have geometric panels and a field of mica or some other colored glass-type material. The center could be an upside down pyramid, like the plan/kit you can buy with the pine cone in the corner. Nothing too Frank Lloyd Wright though.

I've gone through all of the projects on LJ's over the years and saved a bunch of stuff in My Favorites. Here are some projects that embody what I'm looking for. If we find plans, great, if not, this might be the incentive I need to learn SketchUp. Each image is clickable and will take you to the project. Please post pics, links, images, SketchUp drawings, etc. to help me narrow my search. I've used images.google.com, but you have to play the whole mission/craftsman/arts and crafts/prairie game, which can be tiring. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I would highly recommend looking at Dusty's work has not been active on LJ's for a long time but a couple of years ago he wrote an AMAZING blog series on a home rebuild in which he was building all the furniture…I think he was featured on an HG show as well…

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think for now, I'll knock out a couple of pyramid lamp shades' since I have the plans already. One can hang upside down over the table. This will eliminate the bulb glare when seated. The other can go on the store bought floor lamp from Vermont Forge. I might design some rectangular satellites to orbit around the pyramid to jazz up the dining fixture.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote: "Be aware your fire insurance may be void if you permanently install electrical fixtures without a UL label."

Wouldn't the electrical components you use have the UL label affixed to them?

·
Premium Member
25,690 Posts
Unfortunately, UL listed components do not matter. The entire fixture has to be listed as an assembly. When you get to the finer pints of the code, homemade switch plates are illegal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.