LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
UPDATE:
The Black & Decker TS isn't a consideration any longer - focusing solely on the Craftsman TS now. I'll keep the original posting for "historical" sake.

----------------------------------------------------

Might any of you have any knowledge/thoughts about the Black & Decker BT2500 Table Saw?

I have an opportunity to pick one up for about $125 … but I wanted to run it by the experts first.
(mind you, I am strictly a DIY/Home Hobbiest level project/woodworker - not a professional or any intention of becoming one)

Thanks for any comments, insight and/or advice you can provide.

----------------------------------------------------

· Registered
55 Posts
i saw that …. but then I also found some additional info concerning the recall - as follows:

"Check the date code - If the date code is from 200128-CT through 200148-CT, then it must be repaired.
Note: id the date code is followed by an "R" your saw has already been repaired. The date code is located on the front of the tool on the nameplate."

So, I guess I would need to check the date code on the name plate of the saw - to see if it was made after the recall/repair

· Registered
55 Posts
Another possibility just popped up on CL (for my area) . . .

"$140
Regular blade and extra fine finish blade
Extension table also included
FANTASTIC CONDITION, CLEAN!, WELL MAINTAINED, VERY LITTLE USE, ZERO RUST

READY TO BE USED THE SECOND YOU GET IT HOME! This is a fantastic table saw that I have taken very very very good care of! Just out of room to store, or else I would not sell. Would prefer to sell to someone that will actually use it, & not to someone that is going to slap it on eBay or sell it for parts.

VERY CLEAN, NO SPIDERS, BUGS, ETC.LIKE OTHER TABLESAWS ON CL! THIS SAW SPENT ITS LIFE SO FAR INDOORS, well lubricated, & NOT in a production shop either! A GREAT BUY !"

I emailed the seller as to the make/model, and received this reply . . .

"It's craftsman 113.xxxxx I can get u x's later tday. It has good reviews vintage excellent saw. I've taken VERY GOOD CARE OF IT"

He is going to provide the full model number later ….. but what do you think of THIS possibility?

· Registered
55 Posts
Hey Guys … I just saw this Craftsman Table Saw on my local CL - seller asking $80.

Description:
10" Table Saw-Craftsman. Excellent condition-about 10 years old. Includes spare blades, legs, all accessories that came with original. 3 blades.

What do you think? How well do you think I would be able to clean up the rusty top?

What do you think about this compared to the other Craftsman TS (still an option/available for me) I mentioned above?

· Registered
55 Posts
Second guessing myself is my greatest personal enemy/roadblock to getting anything done . . .
I truly hate that about myself (though I love everything else about me, so it all balances out in the end) ;-)

I'm leaning toward agreeing with you about the first one - in terms of it being "ready to go" with the "clean" factor. Of course, both saws (I believe) will require some relative work to bring it up to specs … most notably, a decent fence system and new blades.

Either way, I'm planning on getting it this weekend - so just doing my last minute due diligence research/education before I take the plunge.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
@ toolie:

In post #20 above, you mention the following:
"the motor on the c-man is missing a cover that prevents contact with the motor pulley."

Do you have any idea what that part is called - so I can try to look it up/find a replacement part for it?

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
UPDATE:

I picked up the Craftsman Table Saw this weekend (see post #17 to see which one).

It looks to be in great shape for it's age - better than I expected, actually. Belt-driven and relatively quiet. The table top looks to be in great shape - though a little "aged dark" ... which I intend to work on this week.

· Registered
55 Posts
Yah, THAT'S the thing/part I'm wondering about . . . HOW do I know when I've sanded all I can sand the table top? I'm thinking I know that it's not going to be "fresh from the factory shiny new" - but is there a discernible point where I can/will know when I've done all the sanding (and "mineral spiriting") I can do?

I mean, I would LOVE to get it as close to "factory fresh/shiney" as possible . . . but I also don't want to damage the table top by being too over zealous.

make sense ???

any thoughts/advice ???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.