LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Initial Inventory

A combination of the 30 Projects in 30 Days challenge, my buddy Rustic setting up business in a craft mall, and stuff with no place to go caused me to seriously consider setting up in a craft mall myself. And with that consideration came a decision to do so. And, that decision resulted in going through my "stuff" and finding out what I had for inventory.

When I am not making a piece of full size furniture I make smaller items; boxes and pens mostly. I tend to give away a lot of them, but I don't enough people to distribute everything. Add to that the desire for this hobby to contribute to it's upkeep and the craft mall seemed an obvious solution.

So I gathered my cares and woes and here is what I came up with as an initial inventory:

A few wheelbarrow planters …

Some chairs for smallish people …

A bunch o'boxes, small and simple …

And a collection of pens and pencils …

Hopefully, with Christmas not far down the road, some folks will see my "stuff" and consider them worthy gifts. I'm expecting an interesting and educational experience.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Initial Inventory

A combination of the 30 Projects in 30 Days challenge, my buddy Rustic setting up business in a craft mall, and stuff with no place to go caused me to seriously consider setting up in a craft mall myself. And with that consideration came a decision to do so. And, that decision resulted in going through my "stuff" and finding out what I had for inventory.

When I am not making a piece of full size furniture I make smaller items; boxes and pens mostly. I tend to give away a lot of them, but I don't enough people to distribute everything. Add to that the desire for this hobby to contribute to it's upkeep and the craft mall seemed an obvious solution.

So I gathered my cares and woes and here is what I came up with as an initial inventory:

Hopefully, with Christmas not far down the road, some folks will see my "stuff" and consider them worthy gifts. I'm expecting an interesting and educational experience.
When you set up shop be sure to take a couple of pics.

If you need a testimonial for your pens . . . you can have one from me. They get a good workout every day and keep on ticking.

Good luck !!!!

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
Initial Inventory

luck on this russel ,
you should do ok ,
your stuff is nice .
cleaning it all out ,
makes room for newer projects .

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Initial Inventory

Very very nice work they will surely make someone happy.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Initial Inventory

I like the wheelbarrows. I have been buying steel wheels but I might make my own as you did. Very nice.

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
Initial Inventory

Russel, I hope you do well with your sale.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Initial Inventory

If ya need pointers let me know Where is the mall?

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Initial Inventory

I hope it works out well Russell nice work.

·
Registered
11,989 Posts
Initial Inventory

Best wishes , Russell : )

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Initial Inventory

I wish you much happiness with the new venture.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Initial Inventory

Thanks folks. After awhile, the Mrs. starts asking questions like, "Where are you going to put that?" and it becomes necessary to find an outlet. Hopefully, this will free up some room for new projects like David said.

Thanks for the offer Zuki, I'll keep that in mind.

Jack, I used steel wheels as well on the first couple, but that got a bit expensive. A small circle jig for the bandsaw and voila … wheels. I think they look better than the steel ones.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Initial Inventory

Hi Russell,
You should have no problem selling your gift items…they are works of art in wood! I've worked in the pen manufacturing business for almost 27 years (A.T. Cross Pen Co., in Lincoln, Rhode Island) and the quality of yours surpass the metal and plastic ones we make. Unfortunately, like many American companies, they have moved offshore to China. I digress here.
If you ever need some refills, let me know; I have a bunch of them around the house.

Paul

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Initial Inventory

Thanks Paul, I appreciate the offer and the encouragement.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Initial Inventory

Russel, your work looks great and should easily sell fast. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Initial Inventory

Thanks woodnut. It would be a terrible thing to run out of inventory (he says sarcastically). ;-)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Initial Inventory

Good luck on your venture. I too have considered selling some woodcrafts to support my hobby. There is no craft mall in my area as I am very country here. There are flea markets that I may do. Interested in the wheelbarrow and the pencil boxes. Where did you get the pattern and would you be willing to share them?
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Initial Inventory

Thanks Dave. I certainly don't expect to make a living, but hopefully this hobby will be able to make a contribution.

I have no pattern for the wheelbarrow, I saw Jack's wheelbarrow

and thought it was kinda cool, so I made one. The steel wheels were a tad expensive, so I made a circle jig for my bandsaw and made my own wheels. Overall, it is about 32 inches long from wheel to handle, with the box being about 15 inches long tapering from 8 to 12 inches wide. The wheels are 8 inches in diameter. I have no plans, just a picture.

The boxes are pretty simple and, again, follow no plans simply whatever happens to pop into my mind at the time.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
Initial Inventory

good for you!!
How exciting. Best of luck :)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Initial Inventory

Thanks MsDebbie.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Initial Inventory

I like the design as well. You sound somewhat like me. Most of the things I build I don't use patterns just what I am thinking at the time. I am in the process of building a barn for my grand daughters for Christmas. Have it mostly built and will post pics of it when I am finished. It is 20" X 15" and two stories high. The top hinges so have access to lower level and the roof hinges to have access to the hay loft.
Would you be so kind as to send me a pic of your jig for your wheels. There are a lot of projects I would like to build but the cost of wheels make them ill affordable. I am pretty handy at building jigs and such and can usually confert what I see to what I need. Thank you for you help and support.

I love the smell of fresh sawn lumber. Have been around wood in one way or another sense I was big enough to go with my Dad into the woods and he cut wood. He use to do it for a living and then later on he owned a small sawmill the sawed out material to build lobster traps. Building something with your hands and seeing the joy it brings others is a real blessing in it self

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.