LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

111 Posts
At various times, I had noticed that the blade guard on my table saw makes the task harder. This is particularly evident when ripping narrow stocks and cross cutting. I have seen others voice the same opinion. I didn't like the added weight of the blade guard on the stock while ripping. And design of the front end of the guard doesn't always allow the blade guard to lift up when the stock pushes on it. But, I wasn't willing to take the guard off and let go of the safety benefits the blade guard provides. So, I simply added couple of wooden blocks to have the guard raised just a little higher (1/8") than the stock. This allows me to easily glide the stock, but I still enjoy the safety of the guard.

The wooden block in the front has a slot cut into it so that I can slide it into the splitter assembly. (It's a snug fit). This raises the front end of the guard. I can position the block forward or backward to adjust how much the guard is raised. The wooden block on the back (with the V-handle) is used to raise the back end of the guard. The block has two magnets underneath it (that's what the two slots are for) so it stays put. Once again, I can slide this one back and forth until I have the guard at the right height on the back end. Because the splitter raises and lowers with the blade, I don't have to readjust the wooden blocks when I have to cut different thickness of stock.

I had noticed that the anti kickback pawls were causing some problems for me as well. First of all, because of their strong spring force, they were digging into soft pine. Worse than that was I had noticed that the pawl that is between the stock and the fence seems to pull the stock away from the fence when I was ripping narrow stocks. Plus, the pawls need to be raised or removed if I have to cut very narrow strip on the left side of the blade. So, I added two chains to lift up the pawls. I can adjust how much they are lifted up by by adjusting the chains.

Thought I share these if it helps someone who is having similar difficulties with the guard and the pawls. I tried out the whole assembly earlier today and it worked out very well.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.