Other - ConSew (Rating: 4)

Well,

Here you have a motor being used in a manner not as the manufacturer intended. But who cares? I sure don't. For years I had heard about folks using sewing machine motors on lathes and the like and I couldn't understand what they meant. There was no way that those little tiny motors used on your Grandma's singer was anywhere near strong enough. Then I acquired a industrial Singer for the paltry sum of $0.00. This machine is 100 years old with a newer motor and a clutch drive. What a horrible contraption those clutch driven machines. I hunted down replacements and found the Consew CSM 1000. Now I understand what folks have been using on their lathes and mills and the like. I can be a little slow. The though never occurred to me that there would be an industrial application for sewing machines, even though I have used many a industrial machine in my life. Did I mention that I can be a little slow?

The good:
Variable speed
Theoretically high torque (claims to be 3/4 hp.)
The ability to dial in a top speed.
The ability to feather the speed with a foot pedal.
The ability to reverse direction.
The price. At time of posting $120.00 US
Here is a Amazon link.
https://www.amazon.com/Consew-CSM1000-Sewing-Machine-Electric/dp/B01MYSG7KG/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=consew+csm1000&qid=1578696925&sr=8-2

The bad:
You have to use a foot pedal or be more electrically inclined than I am and replace the hall sensor with a rheostat.
You have to go into a menu to change the direction. This makes tapping a slightly longer process tan if you had a tapping head that could auto reverse.

I own 2, one o my sewing machine and one on my drill press. I will likely own a 3rd, one on my bandsaw for slow speed metal cutting.