Incra - IBox Finger Joint Jig (Rating: 4)

Rockler Finger Joint Jig

Last year one of my Christmas presents was a Rockler Finger Joint Jig.

Product Information:

This jig is for use on virtually any router table with a standard 3/4" miter slot. The jig features a smooth-sliding backer sled and three precision-machined aluminum indexing keys to give you air-tight joints with either 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" spacing. Works with stock up to 3/4" thick.

I found that this jig works well but isn't extremely accurate. The jig is easy to set up, but there is no real fine adjustment. The sliding backer sled tends to stick a bit and the joints although good aren't extremely tight.

I've made several boxes with this jig that turned out well, but I've had to fill the joints with a bit of wood putty in each case.

Incra IBox Finger Joint Jig

I recently picked up an Incra IBox finger joint jig.

Product Information:

The I-Box is an evolutionary leap forward from conventional box joint methods. This single jig can be used on both your table saw and your router table to produce symmetric patterns of traditional finger joints.

In my testing, the IBox jig is a much better choice than the Rockler finger joint jig. The IBox has a incremental adjustment knob for fine adjustments and clear concise instructions on how to set it up and cut finger joints.

In testing, I found the IBox is a great finger joint jig on the table saw, but I had issues trying it out on my router table. The finger joints I cut on the table saw came out dead on the first time. I would not have to do anything else to these joints to make them look awesome.

On the other hand my first attempt at using the jig on my router table turned out horrible joints. The joints were so bad that I figured that I must have done something terribly wrong during the set up. Back to the drawing board I went. To make sure I hadn't screwed something up during the set up I went back to the instructions and went slowly step by step to set the jig up a second time. Same horrible results. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but with the great results I'm getting on the table saw, I'm not going to waste my time with the router any longer.

Conclusion:

In conclusion for cutting finger joints, I'll be using my IBox finger joint jig on my table saw and certainly not on my router table. I would have given the Incra IBox 5 stars if it had worked well with my router table, but something is wrong and I followed the instructions to the letter.

I think I'll be putting the Rockler jig up for sale on Craigslist.