LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
281 - 300 of 494 Posts

·
Administrator
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
On the old software, Projects was for completed projects.

However, I am working on setting up a forum section for Projects In Progress where you can post when you start a project, and members can follow along with your progress.

This has been set up.
Font Screenshot Number Terrestrial plant Multimedia

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I all looks good, similar to other forums I am on.

I like all the subdivision, similar to the previous. If you don't like it just use the "NEW" button to see recent posts.

The "projects in process" is a good idea, many previously used the Blog section to handle it.

I sorely miss the way the old blog section was organized. I had all my blog content separated into categories. It was easy find, edit, create. It was one of things I really liked about the previous site. Other forums do not have that type of separation and I miss it on those. The value was in simply posting a link to my specific blog content to answer a question or explain something, vs retyping or having to search for my entry. Am I missing how to see only my blog content? It will reduce my posting - I'd rather not answer than have it take me more time typing or searching.

·
Registered
121 Posts
- Search Showcase tab in Advance Search

When you type in 3 letters or less in keywords to search, it tells you "the search keywords were too short".
I'm new to woodworking but I can still come up with 3 letters popular projects.

box toy pen bed saw oak awl jig

Not sure how many people are using the advance search but I'm just saying before anyone gets upset.
FYI, you can input 3 letters in keywords in Search Discussions and it works.
Rectangle Font Circle Parallel Screenshot

·
Super Moderator
12,041 Posts
The "projects in process" is a good idea, many previously used the Blog section to handle it.
Agreed, though my only gripe is that it's not going to be as clean for those trying to "catch up". I've been on other forums (computer case modifying related), where project log threads are tricky to navigate, as you have to scroll through the whole thread in order to see all the updates, vs being able to go one update to the next. I've seen people "work around" that issue, but creating their thread, and then spamming it with a bunch of "placeholder for future updates" replies, so they can edit them later to keep all the updates up front. Which I found super annoying. (They'd then just post a reply in their thread saying "Added a progress update to post #" and you'd have to go back to it, etc. But it worked, I guess.

I sorely miss the way the old blog section was organized. I had all my blog content separated into categories. It was easy find, edit, create. It was one of things I really liked about the previous site. Other forums do not have that type of separation and I miss it on those. The value was in simply posting a link to my specific blog content to answer a question or explain something, vs retyping or having to search for my entry. Am I missing how to see only my blog content? It will reduce my posting - I'd rather not answer than have it take me more time typing or searching.
This is 100% my biggest issue at the moment too. So far, no, you're not missing it :( Unless you're trying to find just your blog content; they're now threads, with an entire blog series (blog posts and replies to them) all smashed in to one thread per series.

You can use the advanced search to filter down to just yours, if you want to find them:
Rectangle Font Wood Parallel Logo

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

·
Registered
737 Posts
sorry buddy but top 3 is gone.it was really meaningless anyway.the projects are now in a column so you gotta scroll down rater than see a large group on one page as before.i do miss that myself.all in all im liking it so far,just gotta get used to it.hang in and keep trying things out.
There are dozens of woodworking forums. So Lumberjocks just became another one. Nothing to set it apart from the others. Good to know it went to just average with the update. And that is a big NO, it wasn't meaningless. And I really liked seeing the projects in a group, much easier than to constantly scroll down. I could see a project and if then choose to click on it if I wanted to know more about it.

·
Super Moderator
12,041 Posts
@Cricket is there a way to remove tags from a forum thread? I used them for SEO purposes on the blogs before, so many of my blog threads have over the 10 tag limit, so I can't add new ones for organizational purposes... (namely the discussion Nathan and I have having in his test blog thread)

·
Administrator
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
Agreed, though my only gripe is that it's not going to be as clean for those trying to "catch up". I've been on other forums (computer case modifying related), where project log threads are tricky to navigate, as you have to scroll through the whole thread in order to see all the updates, vs being able to go one update to the next. I've seen people "work around" that issue, but creating their thread, and then spamming it with a bunch of "placeholder for future updates" replies, so they can edit them later to keep all the updates up front. Which I found super annoying. (They'd then just post a reply in their thread saying "Added a progress update to post #" and you'd have to go back to it, etc. But it worked, I guess.
Since the thread starter can edit their threads, they can also add to the initial post in the thread, somewhat of a mini table of contents to the first post as the thread grows.

·
Administrator
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
@Cricket is there a way to remove tags from a forum thread? I used them for SEO purposes on the blogs before, so many of my blog threads have over the 10 tag limit, so I can't add new ones for organizational purposes... (namely the discussion Nathan and I have having in his test blog thread)
Let me go look. How many tags are in the example?

·
Super Moderator
12,041 Posts
Let me go look. How many tags are in the example?
Well... the first one I looked at had 12, and they were all in the "Uneditable tags" section
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Software

But I have another with far more than that lol (it was a generic "Around the shop" blog series with a lot of content
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Maybe there's a way to not have the "Uneditable tags" count towards the limit, since we can't remove them?

·
Premium Member
28,515 Posts
There are dozens of woodworking forums. So Lumberjocks just became another one. Nothing to set it apart from the others. Good to know it went to just average with the update. And that is a big NO, it wasn't meaningless. And I really liked seeing the projects in a group, much easier than to constantly scroll down. I could see a project and if then choose to click on it if I wanted to know more about it.
i dont know about average buddy,it's the people that make a forum what it is,and we have some damn fine woodworkers here.yes i prefererred the former layout but ill learn how to use this one just as well.stay with it id hate to see you leave.:(

• Love
Reactions: Cricket

·
Administrator
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
You should see a surprise at the top of every page now, some additional navigation to get you where you want to go without much fuss. Click to go directly to the correlating area.
Wood Font Rectangle Building Hardwood

This was a special request I made with one of our developers. I am very thankful they approved it.

Please do NOT request changes to this new feature. Simply enjoy it or ignore it. :)

·
Administrator
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 ·
Back To The Top

When you begin to scroll up, you will see an up arrow appear in the lower right-hand corner of the site.
Triangle Font Gas Symbol Circle

Clicking it will return you to the top.

·
Premium Member
10,583 Posts
I all looks good, similar to other forums I am on.

I like all the subdivision, similar to the previous. If you don't like it just use the "NEW" button to see recent posts.

If your blogs were mostly single chapters it will not be that different for you than before. You can find your blogs by clicking on your avatar and selecting my profile. The blogs basically all got converted into regular forum topics in Blog forum and you can find them in the "Discussions Created" under your profile. Here is one of your blogs on Finishing for example. I found it under your profile.

Reactions: OSU55

·
Registered
121 Posts
You should see a surprise at the top of every page now, some additional navigation to get you where you want to go without much fuss. Click to go directly to the correlating area.
View attachment 3853306

This was a special request I made with one of our developers. I am very thankful they approved it.

Please do NOT request changes to this new feature. Simply enjoy it or ignore it. :)
I saw the thumb resolution issue for the projects was also resolved, if you haven't mentioned....

281 - 300 of 494 Posts