LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,066 Posts
Oooh shiny. I like that we're now up and running on a more modern platform. Time and some exploration will uncover how I feel about it. Much poking, button pushing, and lever pulling to be done :)

Anyone want to help put together a mapping of what we had to the equivalent here? It seems the "Show Case" is the replacement for "Projects", but the blogs and reviews appear to just be other generic threads now, so that's a little less polished, in my opinion.

Finally being able to copy-paste images is awesome, but I do dislike the attachments gallery at the bottom. If there's a way to hide that, it would be awesome. It seems to introduce a lot of clutter when in picture heavy threads. You see the (now giant) pictures in the thread, and then a box with all the pictures at the bottom of it too.

I found that if you uncheck the default "unread" filter for the "New Posts" page will get you to a similar experience to the default "Pulse Page" we used to have, where you still see the unread threads (I got used to using the pulse page, and most threads I participated in would usually be in the first 3 pages of the pulse, so I'd just find it and post in it). So I think my BIGGEST concern is satisfied there :)

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

·
Super Moderator
12,066 Posts
Of course, just after posting that, I haven't seen the attachments gallery at the bottom of either of my two recent posts either, so maybe that's just on the archived/older posts?

And just for reference, this is what I was talking about:
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Font

·
Super Moderator
12,066 Posts
Well all I can say is I am blown away!!! What has me fired up is the search capabilities of the new site. The other night I was thinking about a conversation around a certain technique that I had participated in. I couldn't remember when, which forum or whose thread it was in and decided that when the new site was up that would be my test. I entered two words "bent lamination", my posts, and searched all forums. Instantly the result I was looking for came up. It was from December of 2015!!

Can't wait to spend more time exploring. Thanks Cricket!!
  1. Trying out the quoting to see how it works, and
  2. I'm pretty sure the new search is the single thing I'm most excited about, the old one was terrible, and this one is already leaps and bounds better, with only a little trying!

·
Super Moderator
12,066 Posts
I notice that you don't block people, you ignore them, so you don't see what they post. I that the only option? Is there a setting that prevents them from posting in your threads without hiding their posts?

Also, is there any chance of changing my username back to Rich?
Looks like admins (Cricket) have to

·
Super Moderator
12,066 Posts
How To Delete A Conversation (Private Message)

[...]

You can do the following for leaving conversations in bulk (full page).
I had discovered this, but I've got 76 pages to go through since I can only select a single page at a time... yikes

I don't believe that is an option at this time. We have to use the actual share links.

A small window will open to provide you with a URL. That will be the URL you need to copy and paste into your content.
Yeah, that's what I used, but the shorts share links are a different pattern:
Watch Font Rectangle Screenshot Technology

·
Super Moderator
12,066 Posts
Is there a way to add a feed for all content types, like the "Pulse" used to have? Instead of having multiple tabs for forum posts, showcases, galleries, articles? That was far and away my favorite thing about the old LJ format, you could have a single feed and see all the new content in it. Now it's a lot more fragmented.

I've looked around and don't see one, so that is a REQUEST feedback item, since you're asking.

·
Super Moderator
12,066 Posts
NEW is for all UNREAD posts on the site.

If you want to see both unread and read in one tab, you can adjust your filter like the following example.
View attachment 3853000
I know, I've already done that; but that's also not what I said. I was saying that Showcase items do not appear in the "New Post" section. I guess the News/Articles will because they're just generic threads now, but still stands for Showcase.

Plant Font Screenshot Software Multimedia

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Technology

·
Super Moderator
12,066 Posts
There is actually a tab for new Showcases within NEW. Is this what you are looking for?
View attachment 3853004
No, let me try that again.

Is there a way to add a feed for all content types, like the "Pulse" used to have, instead of having multiple tabs for forum posts, showcases, galleries, articles? That was far and away my favorite thing about the old LJ format, you could have a single feed and see all the new content in it. Now it's a lot more fragmented.
I meant combined, as in 1 tab for new content, vs the fragmentation.

I know it's not likely something you can configure from boxed forum software, and I don't know to what degree you can actually customize things, but it's a suggestion none the less

·
Super Moderator
12,066 Posts
Unfortunately, that is not an option at this time.

- Cricket
Understood, and mostly what I expected. Didn't know if there was anything formal tracking them or not, so I threw it out there.

I know there's a lot of us sounding like we're complaining, but overall I'm excited for some things, and sad to see some things go. Everyone wants progress, but no one wants change :)

·
Super Moderator
12,066 Posts
Sorry it can not be changed. A additional clutter to the page. Beginning to like the old version better and better.
You can simply not scroll down past where you post your reply to a thread. ;)
Alternatively, if you run an ad-blocker, make a custom rule to block the one at the bottom so you never see it :whistle:

·
Super Moderator
12,066 Posts
I'm in my profile, seeing if I can find an easy list of all the blogs done in 10+ years. Get to the end of the first page of my 'discussions,' hit MORE button, and I'm into a Forum Search screen... Not useful, not expected. What am I doing wrong?
They were not migrated well... a blog series went from being separate parts with comments, to just single threads. What used to be the original post in a blog with comments underneath it, will now be a blog forum post, followed by all the comments from that blog entry, then the next blog forum post is just another post in the thread. Kind of annoying that the previously well organized blogs are just all smashed together now. About the only thing you can do is look at the posts by only the author, and hope they didn't reply to too many comments...

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Brand

I'm bummed that this got so screwed up, as the blog mechanism used to be really well done, with each post in a series able to have its own comments/discussion, without losing the original blog posts in a series to forum pagination...

Unfortunately, I'm guessing our only "option" at this point is to use the Advanced Search (clicking in to the "Search Community" bar will give you the option to do advanced), and filter based on the forum and user name, sorting by date. Clumsy, but at least it's something, I guess.

Rectangle Font Parallel Software Screenshot

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Super Moderator
12,066 Posts
Still trying to get used to it. I would still like to find the projects that I maked as a favorite in the old site. I marked them as possible projects for me to build.

Thanks for you work on this, and hopefully it will clear up in a few days or weeks, as the techs work out the issues.
I'm sure you'll get directed to how to find your Bookmarks, but I'm not sure any of the projects I used to have marked as favorites got migrated over either... at least I'm pretty sure I had some...
(favorites is in the menu when clicking your user image, if you hadn't found it yet)
Communication Device Rectangle Font Portable communications device Gadget

·
Super Moderator
12,066 Posts
I looked in bookmarks and the only ones I found were things other than projects( reviews, blogs forum topics, etc.) that I think that I had flagged as favorites. It may be that the project favorites were missed or put somewhere else? I actually saved my old favorites in MS Notes by copying and pasting the multiple pages of them from my favorite projects list so I can go back and find them if need be but it would be nice if those could be converted over too?
Yeah, that's my assumption, as I didn't see any in my list. Probably missed them, or couldn't be transferred for some reason or another... Hopefully it can be fixed still

1 - 20 of 56 Posts