LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Congrats on the new website and it looks so nice! I thought the website was unconsciously left as a maintenance mode since Homerefurbers site was running ok and I was just about sending a message via contact form. Then, this fresh website popped up! Honestly, as this new site looks totally different than the old one, I even thought a malware got this site through ads but it wasn't! So cool! Good job, admin!

·
Registered
122 Posts
In showcase/project page, it doesn't seem like there is a link to a person's profile who did the project. After seeing a nice project, I always want to check what else the person makes so it would be nice if there is the link (I wonder if it is actually planned to be added and just not there yet).

The following picture is where I'm talking about.
Automotive tire Wood Font Bumper Rim

·
Registered
122 Posts
One more thing, is "Showcase" supposed to be clickable when you click add item? The past projects are sorted in the "Projects" under the showcase category and if there is an intended purpose for users to add items in Showcase, the adding form still have some server scripts FYI...
Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Parallel

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's just my opinion.

New Posts and New Showcase are actually confusing to me. I first expected there are all items listed just in new to old order, which most of the websites I experienced do but they have a "show only unread/unviewed" filter as a default. I think this might confuse some users because once they open a project, the project will be gone from the same list they found the project when they come back to see the project. I can imagine my dad can't figure it out and he gets upset...

Once they know how it works, it's ok but this kind of basic things have to be simple enough that people should be able to do with extremely minimum knowledge. Who knows if you want it, you have to change the filter setting or go to the three dots menu and then click Showcase to display all items.

I know I can change my default setting but it's more like "How many people can find it from the beginning vs How many people think it must be set as a default". I think it's more natural if "show unread only" is an option for who wants it and unfiltered as a default.

·
Registered
122 Posts
We are hoping to have the Showcase issues resolved tomorrow.

Once it is resolved, I will post a tutorial.
I think it's too difficult to make a gallery in the current project post form. Even if it's explained in the tutorial, I wonder how many people can read it. I mean, you made a nice project page layout and imported all past projects in the layout (a big eye catch on the top and expandable small pics in the gallery on the bottom) but check out how people post their projects now. I expect some of people continue to go like that (big pictures every where) even after you post the tutorial. I think it's more possibility than the posts with upside down pictures in the old website. Again, it' my opinion but it's more user friendly if you add input forms of "upload to gallery" in the project post form and the first one goes to the eye catch like the old one.

I'm not sure if it's included in your project scope at this moment but in that way, people can present their beautiful projects in a professional way you designed without an extra effort to understand how to make a gallery by clicking a tiny icon. I think it also gives your website more professional look, too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Oh, I tested the post and understand how the gallery works now and sorry, if there is still something I don't understand correctly but to upload pictures to the gallery is to insert pictures in the project information isn't nice. It requires you to take out the pictures from the project information....

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Pattern

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am not sure I understand what you are asking.
Sorry for my English. I wanted to say it's difficult to make a gallery in a project post. While there is a nice gallery function, there will be a project post like the following

If that is what you expect people to post their projects, it's ok.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I need a bit more time for this. I will update you once I have talked with one of our techs.
Thank you for the quick test. You don't have to update me but take your time on your project:) I just thought it's good if people enjoy this nicely designed website with minimum effort of understanding internet technical things rather than people create multiple forums to ask basic things.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I will check with the developers.
I was just curious.

What's happening now is the longer side of a picture is automatically resized into 150px and displayed in 110px x 110px with object-fit:cover in the showcase list so if the shorter side of the object(picture) is 110px or less, the picture gets blurry. It seems like there could be a better solution for auto-resizing but it depends on where else the thumbs are used in this website and for what purposes. It can be also because of a compression ratio but that's more like how fast you want this website to be loaded...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I understand it may not be your priority but I liked the daily top 3 thing, too!

I'm not sure the algorism of the old daily top 3 thing but I think at least it's possible to sort popular projects by an existing view counter value and display 5-10 projects within an arbitrary time period with the existing format of "search-result-card" (the one to display projects in the search result. It looks nice). Later on, when possible, you can add a flag to a project that achieves top 3 or something.

But yeah, I know it's not that simple and I don't even know what I am talking about here... :)

Edit: I'm talking about the front page...

·
Registered
122 Posts
- Search Showcase tab in Advance Search

When you type in 3 letters or less in keywords to search, it tells you "the search keywords were too short".
I'm new to woodworking but I can still come up with 3 letters popular projects.

box toy pen bed saw oak awl jig

Not sure how many people are using the advance search but I'm just saying before anyone gets upset.
FYI, you can input 3 letters in keywords in Search Discussions and it works.
Rectangle Font Circle Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
122 Posts
You should see a surprise at the top of every page now, some additional navigation to get you where you want to go without much fuss. Click to go directly to the correlating area.
View attachment 3853306

This was a special request I made with one of our developers. I am very thankful they approved it.

Please do NOT request changes to this new feature. Simply enjoy it or ignore it. :)
I saw the thumb resolution issue for the projects was also resolved, if you haven't mentioned....

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just found when you are at Projects or Workshops listing page and try to go to the 2nd page from the pagination links, it'll take you to the 2nd page of Showcase instead of the 2nd page of Projects or Workshops...

Product Font Screenshot Software Technology

1 - 14 of 14 Posts