LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Feedback: New Forum Software Is Live!

79K views 2K replies 155 participants last post by  BobHall 
#1 ·
We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform!

It’s been a long time coming. Let’s face it. Sometimes older forum technology lags behind other parts of the internet. Although seeing the same format for a long time is comforting, the member experience shouldn’t include dealing with outdated, unsafe, slow software.

The transition to a new platform will never be 100% smooth but the days of dealing with out of date forum software are over. We have teams dedicated to building a world-class community for you. The development has been steady with regular software releases since May 2019. Asking members for feedback and coming up with ideas for improvement is what we want.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Our algorithm will serve a personal customized feed based on your prior engagement with content on the site. If you’ve liked and or commented, or are following certain topics that are of interest to you, similar content will appear at the top of the homepage.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, to help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing over the first few days after migrating. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Finding Your Way Around
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

Clicking your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

You can also navigate more by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Save Bookmarks
Now you can save your favorite discussion threads and posts! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations - Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase - Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
Take a tour and look around! Check out the Help section for some quick FAQs about the new platform.

Please keep all feedback, questions, concerns, requests for help, etc. regarding the new platform right here in this Feedback thread. This will help us make sure not to miss a request for help and also let us pass along your thoughts to our Product team. The Admins and I will be here to help along the way taking note of your comments.

- Community Management Team

See less See more
#2 ·
I will be here during your transition to the new platform, to help with any questions, help with navigation or how to do things, and to listen to your feedback so please don't hesitate to holler at me. I want to help. You can also check out our FAQs.

I do want to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Cricket. When I was born, my father told his friends I was the ugliest baby he had ever seen, and that I sounded just like a cricket (I was born with the hiccups.) so yes, I have been Cricket for a very long time now. I live just outside of San Antonio, Texas. I spend most of my free time out in nature and exploring the back roads. During late autumn when it starts to finally cool down, I disappear from the world for a bit for camping trips and hiking.

Please don't be afraid to explore and test out things to see how they work on the site. :)

Although you can certainly use the "insert image" icon to upload an image to your post, you can also just drag and drop it to the text editor or even copy/paste it into there!

You can easily share videos just by adding the URL directly into the text editor!

Gif links from sites like giphy.com will display automatically just by adding the gif URL directly in the text editor. Try it!

I am a huge fan of the dark mode for the community. What is your favorite feature?

The new forum software is still a work in progress.

We will be seeing regular updates, which are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we will be actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers. We do ask that you keep any questions, thoughts or feedback about the new forum software here in the Community Feedback thread to help us keep all the information together, so we don't miss anything.

There is still some work going on behind the scene so you may notice some changes as we work.
  • It can take 24-48 hours for the site to finish indexing, so it may take a bit for search results to return proper results, including showing all your threads/posts under your profile.
  • We will continue to clean up the order of the sections on the full forum listings page, so you might see some stuff move around.
  • We are reviewing permissions and special permission sections so let us know if you notice any issues so we can look into them.
I won't always know the answers to your questions, but I can find someone who does, as needed. ;)

- Cricket

#217 ·
Cricket I have a few questions I’m sure you can help me with.

When I search the internet for inspiration for a new project I’m building I some times come across a project built by a lumberjock. Example I found one built by edward60. Greene and Greene ceiling lamp.

I tapped on visit and I’m directed to the lumberjock site where I can view his lamp but I can’t see how many views he received, or a link to his other projects.

The old page had on the upper right side of the page in blue type (blog- projects-forum) I think that was the order, I could tap on to see his projects etc.

Is there a link on the new page I’m missing? I’m not computer savvy and need you help.
Thanks
James E McIntyre

#4 ·
Congrats on the new website and it looks so nice! I thought the website was unconsciously left as a maintenance mode since Homerefurbers site was running ok and I was just about sending a message via contact form. Then, this fresh website popped up! Honestly, as this new site looks totally different than the old one, I even thought a malware got this site through ads but it wasn't! So cool! Good job, admin!

#8 ·
Oooh shiny. I like that we're now up and running on a more modern platform. Time and some exploration will uncover how I feel about it. Much poking, button pushing, and lever pulling to be done :)

Anyone want to help put together a mapping of what we had to the equivalent here? It seems the "Show Case" is the replacement for "Projects", but the blogs and reviews appear to just be other generic threads now, so that's a little less polished, in my opinion.

Finally being able to copy-paste images is awesome, but I do dislike the attachments gallery at the bottom. If there's a way to hide that, it would be awesome. It seems to introduce a lot of clutter when in picture heavy threads. You see the (now giant) pictures in the thread, and then a box with all the pictures at the bottom of it too.

I found that if you uncheck the default "unread" filter for the "New Posts" page will get you to a similar experience to the default "Pulse Page" we used to have, where you still see the unread threads (I got used to using the pulse page, and most threads I participated in would usually be in the first 3 pages of the pulse, so I'd just find it and post in it). So I think my BIGGEST concern is satisfied there :)

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

#108 ·
Oooh shiny. I like that we're now up and running on a more modern platform. Time and some exploration will uncover how I feel about it. Much poking, button pushing, and lever pulling to be done :)

Anyone want to help put together a mapping of what we had to the equivalent here? It seems the "Show Case" is the replacement for "Projects", but the blogs and reviews appear to just be other generic threads now, so that's a little less polished, in my opinion.

Finally being able to copy-paste images is awesome, but I do dislike the attachments gallery at the bottom. If there's a way to hide that, it would be awesome. It seems to introduce a lot of clutter when in picture heavy threads. You see the (now giant) pictures in the thread, and then a box with all the pictures at the bottom of it too.

I found that if you uncheck the default "unread" filter for the "New Posts" page will get you to a similar experience to the default "Pulse Page" we used to have, where you still see the unread threads (I got used to using the pulse page, and most threads I participated in would usually be in the first 3 pages of the pulse, so I'd just find it and post in it). So I think my BIGGEST concern is satisfied there :)

View attachment 3852939
Drag and drop photo posting is not a new feature. It worked well for me on the old site.
DanK

#9 ·
Well all I can say is I am blown away!!! What has me fired up is the search capabilities of the new site. The other night I was thinking about a conversation around a certain technique that I had participated in. I couldn't remember when, which forum or whose thread it was in and decided that when the new site was up that would be my test. I entered two words "bent lamination", my posts, and searched all forums. Instantly the result I was looking for came up. It was from December of 2015!!

Can't wait to spend more time exploring. Thanks Cricket!!

#12 ·
I notice that you don't block people, you ignore them, so you don't see what they post. I that the only option? Is there a setting that prevents them from posting in your threads without hiding their posts?

Also, is there any chance of changing my username back to Rich?

#14 ·
How To Keep Your Favorite Forum Sections at the Top

My Followed Forums

For sections of the community that have special importance to you, go to the forum section and click "Follow Forum".

You will see a list of options open for your preferences. Add a checkmark to your preferred options. Click Follow at the bottom.

Your Followed Forums will display at the top of the full Forum Listing page.

- Cricket

#20 ·
How To Delete A Conversation (Private Message)

There is no limit to the number of conversations you can have. You can keep them indefinitely. If you choose to have one no longer displayed to you within your conversations, click on the Kebab menu (three vertical dots) to the far right of the Star at the top of the conversation. Select Leave.

Once you leave a conversation, we cannot restore your access to it unless you are invited back to it.

You can do the following for leaving conversations in bulk (full page).

Open your conversation box. Add a checkmark next to the conversation title.

That will open a drop menu near the bottom. Add a checkmark to Select All.

Although you can add checkmarks next to each conversation, a drop menu near the bottom will appear once you select any. Click Choose action. Add a checkmark to Select all if you want to leave conversations in bulk (such as a full page).

Click the drop-down menu next to Choose action and select Leave conversations. Click Go.

#26 ·
I don't believe that is an option at this time. We have to use the actual share links.

How To Display A Video In Your Post

If you want to display a video from a site such as YouTube, you can add the share link directly into the content area of your post, and it will display automatically.

To get the share link, navigate to the video. Near the title, you will see a share link. Click it.

A small window will open to provide you with a URL. That will be the URL you need to copy and paste into your content.

#31 ·
@Cricket Congratulations on site release! ?

Now the hardest part starts......keeping the beasts under control. :p
Good Luck!

Questions:
1) What is purpose of Gallery section?
2) Why does the Gallery section suddenly show that I am not logged into forum, and does not register that I selected dark mode?
3) What is the intended plan for premium memberships? Stated another way: What content does VerticalScope plan to make available to only paid premium members?

Initial comment: classic Fora software dislikes for me.
Too much wasted space, blank paragraph indents need to be smaller, and less vertical space at beginning and ending of each topic highlight block. Default fonts too large for 1920x1080 display. Have to set browser at 80-90% size or spend way too much time scrolling down pages of posts/topics. Oh well... ?‍♂

Cheers!

#37 ·
What is purpose of Gallery section?

What Is The Difference Between The Showcase And Gallery?

The Showcase feature is designed for members to showcase any items/projects a community member is working on. It includes uploaded images, text descriptions, and custom content. By contrast, a gallery would more resemble a photo album.

How To Add A Gallery

Click on the Kebab (3 vertical dots) near the upper-right-hand corner of the community. Click Gallery.

From the Gallery page, click on Your albums.

Near the top right of the page, click on Add media.

A popup will open. Click on Create personal album.

First, add a title to your album and a description. Now it is time to click Upload file.

Once you have uploaded your file, add some information for the image.

When you are done, click Save.

When you need to add to your album, click on Gallery from the drop-down menu below the Kebab (3 vertical dots) dots in the right-hand corner of the site again.

Click on Your albums from the left-side navigation. Then click on your album.

Once you click the specific album of your choice, click on Add media to upload the new images.

You can also update privacy options when you click on a specific album.

Click Save when you are done.

Why does the Gallery section suddenly show that I am not logged into forum, and does not register that I selected dark mode?

I am not able to replicate this. You may need to clear your LumberJocks cache in your browser.

What is the intended plan for premium memberships? Stated another way: What content does VerticalScope plan to make available to only paid premium members?
You can learn more here.

The premium forums will just be a private place (at this time) for premium members to discuss things that they may not want on the publick forums.

- Cricket

#38 ·
I am sorry, but parts of the old site were "broken" in many ways. It may not have been something you noticed, but the coding was outdated.

In my humble opinion, a successful forum community has never been about the platform. It is about the amazing members who come together to share a common interest, and along the way, true friendships are developed.

I have been helping sites transition to the new forum software since May 2019. In that time, I have noticed that during the first 30 days or so, traffic tends to slow down a bit while folks adjust to the new navigation and features. Somewhere between 60 - 90 days, the activity increases, and the community begins to grow. Give it some time. We will get there.:)

We will be seeing regular updates that are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers.

#44 ·
What I don’t like. The small thumb nail photos that show your project and the number of views are estimated by 1k, 2k etc. not the actual number.

My two cents.
Moving forward, you will be able to add the full images within the content. Give me some time to get caught up, and I will work with you to see if your older ones can be edited the way you want them to display.

#40 ·
Can I ask a huge favor of y'all?

Can we keep all feedback, questions, concerns, requests for help, etc., regarding the new platform here in our Community Feedback thread rather than starting new threads?

The reason this is important is that we will be seeing regular updates, which are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers. By keeping all of the information in one thread, we can help make sure that we don't miss anything.

We absolutely want to hear all of the feedback, both good and bad.

We are just asking that it be posted here in the community feedback thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.