LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I WAS WONDERING IF THEIR IS ANYONE OUT THEIR WHO HAS MASTERED THEIR HOME BUILT CNC MACHINE YET? AND IF SO IF THEY WOULD BE WILLING TO BUILD ONE?? I WOULD BE GLAD TO PAY SOMEONE TO BUILD ME ONE. I DON'T HAVE THE COMPUTER KNOWLEDGE NOR THE TIME TO BUILD ONE..
LET ME KNOW.. THANK YOU..

·
Registered
430 Posts
There are several bolt together kits available that would have you up and running within about a day or so of bolting components together.

Check out probotics.com or finelineautomation.com for complete kits in the $1000-$1500 range after adding electronics. Far a few more dollars you could buy a ready to run system like the CNC Shark at Rockler.

It all depends on your price range and what size/quality you are looking for. What are you planning to make with a CNC router?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
You really need to identify what size of stock you want to cut, thickness of the stock and whether it needs to be basic 2-D or has to be 3-D. A CNC to handle cutting 4' by 8' sheet goods to build cabinet carcases is a different world than a bench top to cut templates or engrave jewelry boxes.

Also, economy CAD/CNC/CAM software isn't as easy as sending any graphic to a printer. Having some background around CAD or a machine shop will help considerably, else you will have a pretty extensive learning curve.

Building your own or having one locally made takes away any factory support. If you go this route, make sure you use a design that has an active forum online to reference for questions that will come up. The same goes for choosing a software package.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
If you don't have the computer knowledge to build one, than how will you use it? Building a machine is easy, but many people hit a wall with the software when it comes time to using it.

As someone who programs and runs $100,00 routers for my day job, I can tell you that anyone who thinks they have mastered their CNC router doesn't try new things. There are always new things to learn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.