LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Pretty piece of wood. I definitely wouldn't put on a finish that might discolor the wood. Most polys tend to amber up on successive coats. I have started using Rustoleum Crystal Clear. It's some kind of poly but leaves no color. I hope that piece of cedar goes into a special project.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I sawed this yesterday and was wondering what would happen if I put a few coats of shellac, Spar, or Poly on it.

It would be just as ugly; maybe more so.

·
Registered
11,526 Posts
I can't speak for the cedar, but I coated some fresh black locust I cut on the bandsaw with lacquer about 3 weeks ago and no signs of cracks or warping yet. It was fairly wet. I was also afraid of mold growing too but still looks like a new board.

·
Registered
15,066 Posts
Bill, That finish shedding was my concern!

David, You have taught me another trick! Thanks! Now if I can just remember it next time….........

Clint's comments are always sooo helpful.

Sounds like doubleD is the only one who has done something similar (and it worked!)

Wrangler, That sapwood will amber no matter what in my experience and the heartwood will brown somewhat as well regardless of the finish (or lack thereof). I wasn't going to use it in a project. Just leave it like nature made it (maybe put a base on it).

I'm leaning towards leaving it as is unless someone weighs in and convinces me otherwise.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
hey clint, you must have started early sucking on your lemon….predictable comment…..i might send you a case of more lemons, would hate to see you not stay consistant….oh no, sure wouldnt… what a beautiful piece of cedar, ive got some gorgeous cedar im working with today…lots of creamy white all mixed in with the red….its stunning….hear that clint…stunning…unlike your comment…i vote for a name change…sourpuss clint…how many votes do i get….:)

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
andy
you can 'edit' this post
and just add the ! to the link
then the pic will be part of the post
and not just a link
(many might not clik it
to go look)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.