LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Child's Table and Chairs

It has been quite a while since I posted anything on LJ. My time has been filled with more physical activities: hiking and bicycling. Living in the Pacific Northwest, there is a lot of competition for my time. Anyway, I just finished the present I am giving to my granddaughter for her first birthday: a small table and a pair of child-sized chairs.
Furniture Table White Vertebrate Toy

The chairs and the table legs and skirts are made from pine; the table top from hard maple.

Wood Table Floor Hardwood Flooring

I used a variety of joinery methods on the little chairs: loose tenon (Beadlok Pro), dowels and pocket screws.

Table Wood Flooring Floor Workbench

The table legs and skirts were joined with loose tenons. I was pleased by how solid this joint is.

Wood Floor Wood stain Flooring Hardwood

The table top was glued up from hard maple. To mount it, I used slots cut by adjusting the level of cut with a biscuit joiner. The little brackets were cut from hard maple scraps.

Table Furniture Wood Interior design Floor

I was pleased with how this project came out. I hope my granddaughter enjoys this for years to come - and perhaps her children will, as well.

Attachments

· Registered
282 Posts
Child's Table and Chairs

It has been quite a while since I posted anything on LJ. My time has been filled with more physical activities: hiking and bicycling. Living in the Pacific Northwest, there is a lot of competition for my time. Anyway, I just finished the present I am giving to my granddaughter for her first birthday: a small table and a pair of child-sized chairs.

The chairs and the table legs and skirts are made from pine; the table top from hard maple.

I used a variety of joinery methods on the little chairs: loose tenon (Beadlok Pro), dowels and pocket screws.

The table legs and skirts were joined with loose tenons. I was pleased by how solid this joint is.

The table top was glued up from hard maple. To mount it, I used slots cut by adjusting the level of cut with a biscuit joiner. The little brackets were cut from hard maple scraps.

I was pleased with how this project came out. I hope my granddaughter enjoys this for years to come - and perhaps her children will, as well.
Very nice. Beautiifully done. She is a lucky little girl to have a Grandpa like you. Was this from a plan or just out of your head?
Charlie

Attachments

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Child's Table and Chairs

I looked at some online planes to get basic dimensions, then figured it out as I went along. I did make templates for the chair legs, so I can make more like them, if desired.

Attachments

· Registered
2,222 Posts
Child's Table and Chairs

You did a wonderful job on these pieces. I am sure they will used often and for a long time

Attachments

· Registered
69 Posts
Child's Table and Chairs

I have a one-year old-all I can say is, crayon resistance is a primary quality! Also a top hard enough to resist dings…

Beautiful looking stuff.

Attachments

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Child's Table and Chairs

Durability - and washability - was why I applied three coats of polyurethane over hard maple.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.