LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
When I was 4, I asked for tools cause my friend had a kids tool set. My dad realized I wouldn't be satisfied with crappy imitations, so went and bought a small tool box and filled it with tools. They were all real tools, but maybe a bit on the smaller size. 30 years later I have almost all of them, and still use some on a daily basis. So my recommendation is buy some real tools.

Another cool thing my dad did the same Christmas was he made a model spaceship and gave it to me in pieces along with the tools, then the two of us built it together, still have it as well as the memories of building it.

Just my thoughts…

·
Registered
599 Posts
^ Yes! ^
Treat your son right. Get him real tools.
You'll have to take him along when you buy the hammer. Have him try it for size. A hammer that works for you may be too heavy and unwieldy for him. Or just have him try the hammer. Buy it on a separate trip.

·
Registered
10,887 Posts
I'm buying him a tool for his birthday and for Christmas to put in his own tool box that will gather dust until he's able to use them in about 10 years.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was debating on tools for my nephews this year and decided instead of going with real tools, I'm going to start with a toy set (found a good B&T at Aldi for $6.99 if anyone is looking) and build them a proper tool box to start their collection. If the box lasts a year, I'll know they're ready and will start adding age-appropriate real tools as we go.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I read all the advice and links and relayed the info to my son. At this time I believe he is leaning toward a Red Tool box set to start and going to add to it. This is for my grandbaby. Whom I don't get to see often enough! When my son was small I gave him my lightest hammer, some scrap pine, & a can of nails. When he mastered hitting the nails into the scrap, we moved on to a cut down Disston, & then a small plane. I passed those tools on to a neighbor for his kids and he passed them on again. Never could afford to buy child's tools, then. So I never looked.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
My Dad gave me a vise when I was 4, I think, for Christmas. It wasn't a toy vise, just a small 2" vise, I still have it and use it when working on small stuff. It is one of my most treasured tools. The moral of the story is buy real tools when you can that are small but useable.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Never bought my children those kiddy tools. I waited until I thought they could handle the real thing, and introduced them to hand tools first, (non sharpened edge), then slowly showed them sharpened hand tools, and finally over a few years, had them into power tools.

At least my kids know how to work with them, although in the end, only one actually uses tools regularly for his antique foreign car hobby.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.