LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Premium Member
33,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A plan is made

Long time ago, back about Norm Abram's second season…..Had a 2-1/2 car garage shop…doing all the usual projects for sale….came a request for a chest of drawers…..had never done one, before. Took a few days to figure things out, but delivered a 3 drawer unit. More orders came in, word of mouth sales. Needed a system to make chest of drawers quickly….

So, what this blog will be about, will be how those chest of drawers were made back then. Back then, IF all the lumber for the project was on hand, I could start about 8 am…..and have a completed chest of drawers by 8 pm.

Won't be quite that fast this time….and a few items have been changed. Back then, it was five 2×4 x 8's, a 1×8 for each drawer, and a sheet and a half of plywood. System worked well enough…..this will be number 146.

Then, the 2×4s made 4 corner posts, for the frame and panel sides. I also ran two others through the rip blade, to make all the parts for webframes. Other parts were the rails between the cornerposts. Rails at the top and bottom were made a bit wider. First item was to draw up a small plan, to figure out the drawer spacings, and how long the corner posts needed to be…
Handwriting Font Rectangle Material property Parallel

Something like this. Over time, the corner post got a bit thinner, to remove the rounded corners. Then figure out the side construction..
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Paper

So, instead of the 1-3/8" thick corner posts…they will be 1" thick. Both the rails and the plywood panels sit in a 1/4" deep by 3/4" rebate. Goal is to have a smooth inside, to guide the drawers.

Webframes: were usually done first….to allow the glue to dry…
Wood Engineering Composite material Hardwood Gas

Rails have a 1/2" tenon on each end. Stiles have a groove milled. Two passes on a tablesaw to make the grooves. Picture shows the fitting of the tenons, also down at the tablesaw. After all these were made
Wood Gas Composite material Engineering Machine

6 frames, for 5 drawers….5 for the drawers to slide on, the 6th is at the top of the case. All get a kicker..
Wood Gas Hardwood Automotive wheel system Composite material

To keep the drawer from tipping down. Bottom webframe get 2 "kickers", more for attaching and backing up the bottom of the face frame. Have all six frames glued and kickered….glue joints have two nails "to hold until the glue dries".....as Norm would say..
Wood Tool Table Rebate plane Gas

while the kicker get glued and screwed roughly in the center….
Wood Automotive wheel system Gas Motor vehicle Auto part

Used a counter sink drill….
Wood Table Revolver Gas Trigger

So…this is where I am at, right now. I don't have the room like I did way back then….so, it will be a couple boards at a time, to do each step along the way. later today, MAYBE..I can cut the two 2×4s down into four corner posts….and layout the cuts for the rails….plenty more to do….

Stay tuned…

Attachments

· Registered
26 Posts
A plan is made

Long time ago, back about Norm Abram's second season…..Had a 2-1/2 car garage shop…doing all the usual projects for sale….came a request for a chest of drawers…..had never done one, before. Took a few days to figure things out, but delivered a 3 drawer unit. More orders came in, word of mouth sales. Needed a system to make chest of drawers quickly….

So, what this blog will be about, will be how those chest of drawers were made back then. Back then, IF all the lumber for the project was on hand, I could start about 8 am…..and have a completed chest of drawers by 8 pm.

Won't be quite that fast this time….and a few items have been changed. Back then, it was five 2×4 x 8's, a 1×8 for each drawer, and a sheet and a half of plywood. System worked well enough…..this will be number 146.

Then, the 2×4s made 4 corner posts, for the frame and panel sides. I also ran two others through the rip blade, to make all the parts for webframes. Other parts were the rails between the cornerposts. Rails at the top and bottom were made a bit wider. First item was to draw up a small plan, to figure out the drawer spacings, and how long the corner posts needed to be…

Something like this. Over time, the corner post got a bit thinner, to remove the rounded corners. Then figure out the side construction..

So, instead of the 1-3/8" thick corner posts…they will be 1" thick. Both the rails and the plywood panels sit in a 1/4" deep by 3/4" rebate. Goal is to have a smooth inside, to guide the drawers.

Rails have a 1/2" tenon on each end. Stiles have a groove milled. Two passes on a tablesaw to make the grooves. Picture shows the fitting of the tenons, also down at the tablesaw. After all these were made

6 frames, for 5 drawers….5 for the drawers to slide on, the 6th is at the top of the case. All get a kicker..

To keep the drawer from tipping down. Bottom webframe get 2 "kickers", more for attaching and backing up the bottom of the face frame. Have all six frames glued and kickered….glue joints have two nails "to hold until the glue dries".....as Norm would say..

So…this is where I am at, right now. I don't have the room like I did way back then….so, it will be a couple boards at a time, to do each step along the way. later today, MAYBE..I can cut the two 2×4s down into four corner posts….and layout the cuts for the rails….plenty more to do….

Stay tuned…
I'll be following this one. I've got 4 kids, all needing new dresses. Looking forward to the next post!

Attachments

· Registered
979 Posts
A plan is made

Stay tuned…
Thanks - this is a great tutorial. Looking forward to the rest of the build

Attachments

· Registered
26 Posts
A plan is made

Stay tuned…
Quick question: What's the thicknes of your web frames? Are you using 2×4 stock for those?

Attachments

· Premium Member
33,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A plan is made

Stay tuned…
Webframes are made with 3/4" thick by 1-1/2 wide 1×2s.

Olden days, I would take a 2×4 or two, and set the fence on the saw to give me a few 1×2s….4th piece was a tad too skinny, so they became the kickers.

Attachments

· Registered
748 Posts
A plan is made

Stay tuned…
Excellent. I am working on a dresser of sorts at the moment as well and am probably just a bit ahead of you. Working on the drawers now. It is in my blogs if you want to compare methods, but very similar!

Attachments

· Premium Member
33,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A plan is made

Stay tuned…
Way too many Doctor's visits, lately….lost a couple weekends.

Attachments

· Premium Member
33,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Corner posts milled

Well, since all the webframes are done, now..
Wood Automotive wheel system Hardwood Wood stain Lumber

Bottom frame gets two "kickers", more to prevent a foot from kicking in the bottom of the face face…
Hauled one 2×4 x 8' to the shop…one at a time is easier to carry, and get down the steps to the shop..
Wood Flooring Gas Hardwood Plank

laid it on the saw, for now. Measured in from each end 43", and made a couple marks
Wood Rectangle Hardwood Ruler Wood stain

Then moved everything I needed over to the bench, THEN the 2×4…made a couple cuts..
Wood Machine tool Building Engineering Gas

Then set the first aside, make the other cut. I kept the 10" long cut-off, will be a set-up block..Hauled the other 2×4 to the shop. After it was cut to match the first one..I set up to mill a few edges..
Wood Office equipment Machine tool Office supplies Hardwood

needed to skinny the width down a bit…one edge was just to remove that rounded edge
Wood Rectangle Flooring Composite material Gas

There was a problem…blade at full height, wasn't quite tall enough….set it up, anyway, run the block and the boards through, flip end for end, and complete the cut….second set up was to get these to 3" width, got things set up using the block..
Wood Tape measure Wood stain Hardwood Plank

Then run the posts through. which left the thickness to be milled….at 1" thick. Set up the block, same problem..
Wood Machine tool Composite material Hardwood Rectangle

Hmmm, well i put a new blade on the bandsaw, figured I could saw the center out..
Wood Rectangle Plank Composite material Flooring

Which left that ridge down the center…not a biggie. Ran the 4 posts through the tablesaw and the bandsaw..
( IF your saw can make this cut in one go, fine)
Wood Building Hardwood Composite material Plank

Can't leave that ridge, though..so..
Wood Hand tool Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Millers Falls No. 11, Junior Jack plane…faces are now flat and smooth.
Wood Composite material Hardwood Plank Machine

So….I needed two different rebates milled…all four posts get something like this..
Wood Gas Machine Toolroom Lumber

It takes two saw set ups to make. This is where the rails and plywood panels will get attached to..
Wood Gas Table Building Hardwood

Which left the rebate for the back of the case..
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Flooring Floor

Again, two set ups…so a plywood back sits flush with the back edge of the case.
Window Wood Sleeve Grey Door

Which means these two 1×4s will be heading to the shop. next time. Need to cut out the best looking 26" sections, and save them for the face frame. The rest, will get cut down to about 13" or so, and become the rails to connect the sides. need to use one of the webframes, to lay out drawer openings and set up to cut the plywood panels for the sides…

Stay tuned…

Attachments

· Premium Member
33,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rails are milled

Took two trips, but both 1×4 x 8' boards were hauled to the shop. Looked both over, trying to find two clear sections 26" long. They will be the top and bottom of the face frame. Set those aside..

According to the plans, the rails need to be 13-1/2" long…Decided to cut what I could to that length,,,some stuff went right into the burn pile….Need two pieces at 2-1/4" wide…ripped those….and two at 3" width…ripped those…then ripped what remained down to 1-1/2" wide..usually getting two rails per.
Wood Hardwood Plank Lumber Composite material

Fence got set and reset,,,,tenons on the ends, rebates along the edges…
Wood Rectangle Plank Composite material Wood stain

Takes two set ups per type of cut….Tenons were done at the saw…with the blade cleaning them flat…rebates tended to send the cut off waste straight back….since I was off to the side, they went right on by…these are the top and bottom rails….the skinny rails were a bit..different. other than the tenons being done the same…
Wood Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain Composite material

Mid rails get two rebates…
Wood Rectangle Floor Hardwood Flooring

Plywood panel is for layout work…but this is how the parts go together….All that sawing made a big mess…
Wood Floor Flooring Gas Hardwood

Well, today was a road trip to a Doctor's Office….clean bill of health, except for a 30 day restriction for how much I can lift…10 pounds. Did some shopping, and a lunch out. Took a long break when we got back home.

Decided some layout work could be done…so…got the 4 corner posts arrange into pairs, rebate to rebate…and clamped them tight..
Saw Wood Table Tool Workbench

Then chose whih ends looked the best for the top of the case, and labeled them. Along with a mark to show bottom of the post. Used a 1×2 ( soon to be a corner block) to mark a line across the top, then use one webframe…
Wood Plank Hardwood Wood stain Composite material

To make a couple more marks. two for the webframe, one for that kicker. Square to carry the lines across.
Rectangle Wood Road surface Flooring Floor

Checked to see if the rail matched..

Which is why the rail is a bit wider than the rest…OK, from the kicker line down, 5" to the top of the webframe.
Rectangle Wood Flooring Wood stain Floor

The 5" is the size of the drawer opening….have two at 5", the other three are at 6-1/2" which brings me to the foot of the case..
Wood Flooring Rectangle Floor Hardwood

Leaves a bit for the foot details. Once all the lines were done, I set up one complete side, minus the plywood panels..and did a dry fit..
Wood Flooring Hardwood Gas Engineering

With all the rails where they are supposed to be, I can measure the sizes needed for the plywood panels….and add that to the "Plans"...
Hand tool Handwriting Saw Wood Tool

Need two of each.
Wood Hardwood Rectangle Wood stain Composite material

Need to figure out what detail the feet need…
Have a cove bit to set up and run around, after the feet are done…have to dress things up a bit.

Stay tuned…

Attachments

· Registered
6,953 Posts
Rails are milled

Took two trips, but both 1×4 x 8' boards were hauled to the shop. Looked both over, trying to find two clear sections 26" long. They will be the top and bottom of the face frame. Set those aside..

According to the plans, the rails need to be 13-1/2" long…Decided to cut what I could to that length,,,some stuff went right into the burn pile….Need two pieces at 2-1/4" wide…ripped those….and two at 3" width…ripped those…then ripped what remained down to 1-1/2" wide..usually getting two rails per.
Wood Hardwood Plank Lumber Composite material

Fence got set and reset,,,,tenons on the ends, rebates along the edges…
Wood Rectangle Plank Composite material Wood stain

Takes two set ups per type of cut….Tenons were done at the saw…with the blade cleaning them flat…rebates tended to send the cut off waste straight back….since I was off to the side, they went right on by…these are the top and bottom rails….the skinny rails were a bit..different. other than the tenons being done the same…
Wood Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain Composite material

Mid rails get two rebates…
Wood Rectangle Floor Hardwood Flooring

Plywood panel is for layout work…but this is how the parts go together….All that sawing made a big mess…

Well, today was a road trip to a Doctor's Office….clean bill of health, except for a 30 day restriction for how much I can lift…10 pounds. Did some shopping, and a lunch out. Took a long break when we got back home.

Decided some layout work could be done…so…got the 4 corner posts arrange into pairs, rebate to rebate…and clamped them tight..
Saw Wood Table Tool Workbench

Then chose whih ends looked the best for the top of the case, and labeled them. Along with a mark to show bottom of the post. Used a 1×2 ( soon to be a corner block) to mark a line across the top, then use one webframe…
Wood Plank Hardwood Wood stain Composite material

To make a couple more marks. two for the webframe, one for that kicker. Square to carry the lines across.
Rectangle Wood Road surface Flooring Floor

Checked to see if the rail matched..

Which is why the rail is a bit wider than the rest…OK, from the kicker line down, 5" to the top of the webframe.
Rectangle Wood Flooring Wood stain Floor

The 5" is the size of the drawer opening….have two at 5", the other three are at 6-1/2" which brings me to the foot of the case..
Wood Flooring Rectangle Floor Hardwood

Leaves a bit for the foot details. Once all the lines were done, I set up one complete side, minus the plywood panels..and did a dry fit..
Wood Flooring Hardwood Gas Engineering

With all the rails where they are supposed to be, I can measure the sizes needed for the plywood panels….and add that to the "Plans"...
Hand tool Handwriting Saw Wood Tool

Need two of each.
Wood Hardwood Rectangle Wood stain Composite material

Need to figure out what detail the feet need…
Have a cove bit to set up and run around, after the feet are done…have to dress things up a bit.

Stay tuned…
Lookin' Good!

Attachments

· Premium Member
33,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
details, router, assembly

Ok, snowbound today. So, after Lunch, went to the shop, to get a few tasks done. Corner posts needed a couple rebates cleaned up, mainly in the corners,,,have a cleaner..
Wood Line Gas Metalworking hand tool Hand tool

next, was the feet details….otherwise they look too "blocky"....olden days, I would just strike a line from the bottom rail to 1" from the outside edge…maybe something a little less plain? needed a way to trace a curve..
Fluid Wood Gas Flooring Hardwood

Hey, it works, makes a nice easy to cut curve..
Wood Table Hardwood Wood stain Automotive exterior

Cut this out, save as a pattern, and cut the other three feet to match..
Wood Gas Tool Hardwood Bumper

needs a bit of sanding. Needed to get the feet done, before the cove cutter came by..
Plane Wood Saw Automotive tire Office ruler

Don't have a lot of room for a large cove bit…
Wood Tool Wood stain Hardwood Workbench

Wanted them to stop just above the rails…
Wood Hardwood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Machine tool

Hmmm..more sanding. got the posts done, which left the rails to do. Top rail only get one cove …
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Plank Lumber

All the rest get a pair of coves. All rails were done, router put away….was tired of walking on the mess

So..I took a small break….cleaned the shop, brought a plywood panel downstairs…and changed out the blade on the tablesaw. Went from a 7-1/4" to an 8-1/4" blade….saw is an 8" version.
Wood Textile Rectangle Flooring Floor

Was a tight fit. Set up to mill all the plywood panels….had an issue with grain direction….finally
Wood Architecture Publication Floor Flooring

All 10 were done, enough for both sides of the case. Cleared the saw, lowered the blade. And set up to do a little assembly….right on the saw, just like I did way back when…
Wood Bottle Wood stain Hardwood Gas

All the parts are face down, during this build. There is also a clamp or two, another mid rail, and the bottomrail, to keep things lined up and square. Used the brand new square to align the top rail. Then glue and 1/2" nails…then I had to stop for a bit, until I found a pair of needle nose pliers, to save me fingers from the hammer…
Then slide a mid rail into place, with glue and nails….bead of glue all the way around the opening, and nail in a panel…
Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor Wood stain

had to move the clamps around a bit, but I continues on down to the bottom rail…
Wood Tool Table Workbench Flooring

One done, one to go…needed the top of the saw, first…set the side off onto the floor..
Table Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood

Then repeat all these steps for the second side, until I could set both aside..
Wood Gas Wood stain Hardwood Machine

Another view?
Wood Hardwood Gas Machine Metal

Set back to back…and they matched each other!....

Next time in the shop, I need to drill a bunch of pilot holes..

As each webframe needs two holes on each end, where a 2" long screw will go, to attach the frames to the sides..
Stay tuned…

Attachments

· Registered
26 Posts
details, router, assembly

Ok, snowbound today. So, after Lunch, went to the shop, to get a few tasks done. Corner posts needed a couple rebates cleaned up, mainly in the corners,,,have a cleaner..
Wood Line Gas Metalworking hand tool Hand tool

next, was the feet details….otherwise they look too "blocky"....olden days, I would just strike a line from the bottom rail to 1" from the outside edge…maybe something a little less plain? needed a way to trace a curve..
Fluid Wood Gas Flooring Hardwood

Hey, it works, makes a nice easy to cut curve..
Wood Table Hardwood Wood stain Automotive exterior

Cut this out, save as a pattern, and cut the other three feet to match..
Wood Gas Tool Hardwood Bumper

needs a bit of sanding. Needed to get the feet done, before the cove cutter came by..
Plane Wood Saw Automotive tire Office ruler

Don't have a lot of room for a large cove bit…
Wood Tool Wood stain Hardwood Workbench

Wanted them to stop just above the rails…
Wood Hardwood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Machine tool

Hmmm..more sanding. got the posts done, which left the rails to do. Top rail only get one cove …

All the rest get a pair of coves. All rails were done, router put away….was tired of walking on the mess

So..I took a small break….cleaned the shop, brought a plywood panel downstairs…and changed out the blade on the tablesaw. Went from a 7-1/4" to an 8-1/4" blade….saw is an 8" version.
Wood Textile Rectangle Flooring Floor

Was a tight fit. Set up to mill all the plywood panels….had an issue with grain direction….finally
Wood Architecture Publication Floor Flooring

All 10 were done, enough for both sides of the case. Cleared the saw, lowered the blade. And set up to do a little assembly….right on the saw, just like I did way back when…
Wood Bottle Wood stain Hardwood Gas

All the parts are face down, during this build. There is also a clamp or two, another mid rail, and the bottomrail, to keep things lined up and square. Used the brand new square to align the top rail. Then glue and 1/2" nails…then I had to stop for a bit, until I found a pair of needle nose pliers, to save me fingers from the hammer…
Then slide a mid rail into place, with glue and nails….bead of glue all the way around the opening, and nail in a panel…
Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor Wood stain

had to move the clamps around a bit, but I continues on down to the bottom rail…
Wood Tool Table Workbench Flooring

One done, one to go…needed the top of the saw, first…set the side off onto the floor..
Table Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood

Then repeat all these steps for the second side, until I could set both aside..
Wood Gas Wood stain Hardwood Machine

Another view?
Wood Hardwood Gas Machine Metal

Set back to back…and they matched each other!....

Next time in the shop, I need to drill a bunch of pilot holes..

As each webframe needs two holes on each end, where a 2" long screw will go, to attach the frames to the sides..
Stay tuned…
Looking great! Looking forward to seeing the next step!

Attachments

· Premium Member
33,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ready for a little assembly?

Time to put some of this mess into a case….set out a few tools..
Saw Wood Motor vehicle Engineering Gas

One for pilot holes, and one to counter sink those holes…two pilot holes per end on the frames..
Wood Gas Auto part Drill Metal

Then counter sink. got both ends of each frame done this way. Added a bead of glue, and a couple screws..
Wood Floor Flooring Wood stain Plank

Line the frame up with the lay out lines….flush with the back's rebate..
Wood Wood stain Flooring Floor Plank

So the back panel can attach without any bulges….kept at it, until one side was assembled..
Wood Toolroom Workbench Engineering Machine

Then the tricky part. I needed this assembly set aside, while I set the other side onto the "work table", with the rebate facing me. Add a bead of glue to each frame, lift the mess up, and line things up…whew.

Then, worked my way down, line things up and fasten them down…Some took a hammer to adjust..
Wood Rolling stock Electricity Vehicle Motor vehicle

Added some clamps, to pull the edges tight, into the glue. letting this mess sit a while. Make sure, when you add the frames..the kickers are on the "foot" side and pointing to the bottom of the case. When you set the frame into the lines, the space marked "K" is not the one the frame goes into.

Maybe tomorrow, I can cut and install the panel for the back? And start on the face frames?
Stay tuned…

Attachments

· Registered
1,213 Posts
ready for a little assembly?

Time to put some of this mess into a case….set out a few tools..
Saw Wood Motor vehicle Engineering Gas

One for pilot holes, and one to counter sink those holes…two pilot holes per end on the frames..
Wood Gas Auto part Drill Metal

Then counter sink. got both ends of each frame done this way. Added a bead of glue, and a couple screws..
Wood Floor Flooring Wood stain Plank

Line the frame up with the lay out lines….flush with the back's rebate..
Wood Wood stain Flooring Floor Plank

So the back panel can attach without any bulges….kept at it, until one side was assembled..
Wood Toolroom Workbench Engineering Machine

Then the tricky part. I needed this assembly set aside, while I set the other side onto the "work table", with the rebate facing me. Add a bead of glue to each frame, lift the mess up, and line things up…whew.

Then, worked my way down, line things up and fasten them down…Some took a hammer to adjust..
Wood Rolling stock Electricity Vehicle Motor vehicle

Added some clamps, to pull the edges tight, into the glue. letting this mess sit a while. Make sure, when you add the frames..the kickers are on the "foot" side and pointing to the bottom of the case. When you set the frame into the lines, the space marked "K" is not the one the frame goes into.

Maybe tomorrow, I can cut and install the panel for the back? And start on the face frames?
Stay tuned…
Lot of pieces to get into place! Glue up time is always stressful so i understand the "whew" in getting the frame assembled.

Attachments

· Premium Member
33,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Add a back to the case

Ok, after a LONG road trip, yesterday, and way too much sitting around waiting on other people…finally got back home….was after 3pm before I even thought about shop time….I did get the clamps off the case, and set it on the floor..
Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Wood stain

Set this aside for a bit. Hauled a plywood panel to the shop…was almost too big for the stairway….let alone the shop..
Table Wood Tire Wheel Floor

There is actually 3 parts that need to be cut out of this…2 drawer bottom panels (later, when I build the drawers) and a 1/4" x 26" x 40" panel for the back…..doesn't look like I will be cutting this with the tablesaw….so, measured for the back panel, leaving enough for the drawer bottoms…I can rip the bottoms off ( later crosscut for two drawers) then cut 8" off the end. Couple marks, after clamping the panel to the saw ( make a saw bench out of a tablesaw?)
Wood Loom Tool Gas Composite material

Grab the chalk line, and snap a line in blue…
Table Furniture Wood Interior design Flooring

And make the cut….
Wood Machine Metal Table Machine tool

And cut for width of 26"..or so. Rotate, and cut for length of 40"...
Wood Rectangle Table Composite material Hardwood

Vintage 6" saw for the cuts. Next, tablesaw is a bit too tall to install the back to the case, workbench is a bit lower, to where I can reach halfway across a case…
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood

Bench end wasn't too bad, but the other end was a tad..
Bottle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Bumper

"rocky"? Clamps over at the bench helped out. Bead of glue in the closest rebate, and halfway out onto the frames. mark on the side of the case where the center of each frame is. Panel is set down into the glue, 1-1/8" screw to attach to the rebate, only….rotate the case, repeat for the other rebate,,,then pull into square (1/8" out), clamp it there, and finish all the screws…..
Wood Machine tool Gas Railway Track

Whew….while this sat here, I got the top rail of the face frame cut to size….ripped for width, crosscut for length, and a cut other, fancy cuts….found the case was laying down, again…
Window Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain

And found this….and these..
Wood Wood stain Tool Plank Hardwood

Amid rumours of a backsaw in the area….found the reason..
Wood Floor Flooring Rectangle Hardwood

Called a 1/2 dovetail. Got both ends cut and fitted….then clamps and glue..
Wood Hardwood Engineering Plank Metal

Thought I was done for the evening…

Hmmm, not quite…while washing up the work coat and work apron, I also cut and installed the 4 corner blocks, so I can attach a top to the case, later…

Views of the outside of the case?
Cabinetry Wood Table Gas Drawer

Not really fancy, and not really all that plain….detail?
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Fixture Plywood

Grain runs the same direction in the panels….tiny coves were used on the edges…
Today? Might get the rest of the face frame done….might even try a glue up for the top of the case….then, layout for a few drawer sizes.
Stay tuned…

Attachments

· Registered
3,528 Posts
Add a back to the case

Ok, after a LONG road trip, yesterday, and way too much sitting around waiting on other people…finally got back home….was after 3pm before I even thought about shop time….I did get the clamps off the case, and set it on the floor..

Set this aside for a bit. Hauled a plywood panel to the shop…was almost too big for the stairway….let alone the shop..

There is actually 3 parts that need to be cut out of this…2 drawer bottom panels (later, when I build the drawers) and a 1/4" x 26" x 40" panel for the back…..doesn't look like I will be cutting this with the tablesaw….so, measured for the back panel, leaving enough for the drawer bottoms…I can rip the bottoms off ( later crosscut for two drawers) then cut 8" off the end. Couple marks, after clamping the panel to the saw ( make a saw bench out of a tablesaw?)

And make the cut….

Vintage 6" saw for the cuts. Next, tablesaw is a bit too tall to install the back to the case, workbench is a bit lower, to where I can reach halfway across a case…

"rocky"? Clamps over at the bench helped out. Bead of glue in the closest rebate, and halfway out onto the frames. mark on the side of the case where the center of each frame is. Panel is set down into the glue, 1-1/8" screw to attach to the rebate, only….rotate the case, repeat for the other rebate,,,then pull into square (1/8" out), clamp it there, and finish all the screws…..

Whew….while this sat here, I got the top rail of the face frame cut to size….ripped for width, crosscut for length, and a cut other, fancy cuts….found the case was laying down, again…

Hmmm, not quite…while washing up the work coat and work apron, I also cut and installed the 4 corner blocks, so I can attach a top to the case, later…

Today? Might get the rest of the face frame done….might even try a glue up for the top of the case….then, layout for a few drawer sizes.
Stay tuned…
Wow! I turn a few pens and am exhausted, I thought you had a 10 lb lift limit?

Attachments

· Premium Member
33,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Add a back to the case

And make the cut….

Stay tuned…
Case weighs in at 8 pounds….well dried Pine.

Attachments

· Registered
6,953 Posts
Add a back to the case

And make the cut….

Stay tuned…
Like that dovetail fitting

Attachments

· In Loving Memory
8,391 Posts
Add a back to the case

And make the cut….

Stay tuned…
Looks good and quite a bit of work. Your detailing is have a nice affect on the design.

Attachments

· Premium Member
33,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
face frame is done

Yesterday was a bit of hurry up, and wait…..needed a "Plan B" to set the case on, where I cut do a bit of chopping..
First, needed to cut the rest of the rails to length….was a problem
Wood Hardwood Composite material Lumber Plank

All the saws but the bandsaw were buried….had a "spare", though…
Wood Gas Steelworker Machine Saw

I could also reach the D8 panel saw in the til….Mitre box is by GEM…when done, I can fold it up, and stash it back in the tool chest….
Wood Wood stain Plank Hardwood Lumber

All five rails, ready for the dovetail cuts…layout tools?
Wood Gas Hardwood Wood stain Plank

No half tails here…skinny rails were easy enough…
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Plank Lumber

Wider, bottom rail needed a few extra cuts..
Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Auto part

Ok, Plan B?
Motor vehicle Wood Wheel Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Finish cleaning this off, open the jaws all the way, and…
Wood Gas Automotive tire Machine Automotive wheel system

Work Mate Joinery Bench…..Clamp the case to the top, so when I am chopping out sockets, that side of the case is supported…
Wood Wood stain Beam Hardwood Flooring

F style clamps to hold things still…hammer and chisel to do a bit of chopping….worked my way down one side
Wood Gas Flooring Machine House

Rotate the case around…and start back up the other side of the case…
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood Lumber

They were winding up a tad too tall….
So, after a few clamps…
Wheel Tire Wood Gas Motor vehicle

Bottom 3 rails were glued in place,,ran out of clamps..4" C clamps…had to wait a while, until the glue dried enough last night, to glue in the last two rails, and run a cove bit around….along the bottom edge of the bottom rail
Hood Wood Vehicle door Automotive exterior Hardwood

And the inside of the feet. Skinny rails were de-clamped and sanded/planed smooth and flush with the stiles..
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Rectangle Plank

There was one, though, that took a little longer..
Wood Flooring Wood stain Floor Hardwood

Sooo…
Rectangle Wood Wood stain Flooring Floor

Same rail, after a bit of work….feet needed sanded…
Wood Floor Wood stain Gas Hardwood

We do have a sander for such curves…
Wood Metalworking Engineering Gas Machine tool

Cleaned the floor this morning, removed the case from the work mate, and put the Work Mate away…details?
Wood Wood stain Natural material Beam Plank

And..
Shelf Wood Natural material Shelving Rectangle

So..I also had to dump all the shavings, chips, and sanding crud out of the case…and set this aside..
Wood Hardwood Gas Wood stain Plank

need the room, so I can do a glue up of a top, for this case….and maybe start on a few drawers?
Stay tuned…

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.