LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First steps

I decided to create a chess set in which the pieces would be the 'names' of each piece-I'm pretty new to woodworking, so this is a learn as I go process. I've started by doing some basic prototyping of the 'pawns'

pawn1

Here's the first go at them-the 'real' ones will have some sort of symbol at the top, to make the board easier to 'read'. They will also likely be thinner, and won't be made out of scrap plywood, which splinters and misbehaves when futzing with the scroll saw (note the malformed 'w').

I tried a second prototype, but didn't like the lack of distinction between the 'a' and 'w', but used a few ideas in the final template. Here you can see some early sketches, the second prototype, and final template:

pawn2

I doubt I'll go into this level of detail here with each piece, but I thought it interesting to show the initial process. I'm just using a scroll saw to do this work.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
First steps

I decided to create a chess set in which the pieces would be the 'names' of each piece-I'm pretty new to woodworking, so this is a learn as I go process. I've started by doing some basic prototyping of the 'pawns'

pawn1

Here's the first go at them-the 'real' ones will have some sort of symbol at the top, to make the board easier to 'read'. They will also likely be thinner, and won't be made out of scrap plywood, which splinters and misbehaves when futzing with the scroll saw (note the malformed 'w').

I tried a second prototype, but didn't like the lack of distinction between the 'a' and 'w', but used a few ideas in the final template. Here you can see some early sketches, the second prototype, and final template:

pawn2

I doubt I'll go into this level of detail here with each piece, but I thought it interesting to show the initial process. I'm just using a scroll saw to do this work.
A very interesting approach and is likely to be very time consuming. I'm looking forward to following this blog as well as the finished set

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
First steps

pawn1

pawn2

unique. I like it.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
First steps

pawn1

pawn2

Unique Idea can't wait to see the finished product. Welcome to LJs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First steps

pawn1

pawn2

Yeah, I suspect it will take some time, but hopefully will be rewarding; if someone has wood suggestions for the 'real' pieces, I'm all ears. It should be fairly inexpensive, and 'forgiving'. I'll probably make a mistake or two with the sawing, and don't want to be crying that I've ruined at $20 3" piece of wood or whatnot. :).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two new prototypes

Finished my 'Knight' and 'Rook' prototypes:

rookandkinght

They are closer to the actual thickness I have in mind-note too you can see the symbols at the top of the pieces, now. Also note the extra space below each word, which will be used to add stabilizers.

Today I'm going off to select/ask about the wood for the finished pieces. There are a lot of pawns to make, so I'll do those while I work on the prototypes for the remaining pieces.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Two new prototypes

rookandkinght

They are closer to the actual thickness I have in mind-note too you can see the symbols at the top of the pieces, now. Also note the extra space below each word, which will be used to add stabilizers.

Today I'm going off to select/ask about the wood for the finished pieces. There are a lot of pawns to make, so I'll do those while I work on the prototypes for the remaining pieces.
Keep on trucking one step at a time.Can't wait to see the finished set.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Two new prototypes

rookandkinght

Awesome idea! Definitely looking forward to seeing the finished product.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.