LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a first time poster. I have gotten very good information from this website. Thanks!

Plan B:
I am using a HF coupon to purchase their 2hp DC to get my first garage workshop fully setup. I will be modifying it. I will give it a small wooden push cart to ride on, a Wynn 35a filter, and a steel trash can first stage with Super Dust Deputy on top hooked to the DC. This has been done many times on this website and I believe it's the best setup for space saving, air flow, and keeping crap out of the DC. This is my plan b in case you guys say my plan a is garbage.

Plan A:
I would like to build the exact same setup as plan b above. However, instead of the more expensive and much larger/taller super dust deputy ($160~), I'd like to purchase the cheaper and much shorter, better space saving multi cyclone DIY dust deputy kit ($110) listed on one-ida's website. I cannot post the direct link here as it doesn't seem to work. A search of their website will bring it up. This is a picture of it:

This kit looks to be setup for a 2.5" shop vac. However, being that there are three dust deputies in this kit and each one is more than capable of handling anything a 2.5" shop vac sucks up, will it work with a 4" inlet/exhaust? I believe the three of them can handle the load and not restrict airflow as much as a baffle would. With the cost savings compared to the super dust deputy, I could afford to buy a fourth dust deputy if you all think four would help airflow. I'm trying to copy Dyson's 54 cyclone vacuum cleaner as much as possible here :)

Check my math and let me know, please sirs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Like OSU55 said why spend all that money when you can spend less than a day and build a thein seperater?

I am running the HF and Metal trash can with a thein separator and couldn't be happier (except when I forget to turn it on.) It took less than a day to assemble, required one of those half sheet of MDF deals from the home center some threaded rod, PVC pipe, weather strip and some silicon. For under $50 in material (probably way less but I don't recall) and a few hours you will not be dissapointed, I've emptied the can so many times and only had anything in the bag when I got carried away planning some 8/4 maple and didn't notice I filled the can up.

Look up thein separator and read up on it if you don't know about it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
My advice is to scrap plan A. You will never get the cfm for use with a DC. Plan B is the best choice IF you are running a drum sander. If not running a drum sander, build the Thien baffle. I have one on a Jet 1100 and it work very well. I also have a drum sander and the Thien is less effective with the fine dust, but still works to some degree.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Echoing the other responses here. I believe the small diameter cyclones are better for higher pressure (vacuum cleaner) applications and you can gang them up for more volume. The bigger diameter cyclones are a better match for the low-pressure, high-volume dust collector blowers. And I would definitely recommend building your own pre-separator vs. buying one. I made a Thien separator based unit to sit on top of a metal trash can a couple of years ago, and I don't think I'll have to ever change the bag on my DC again. It's a little different than a typical Thien baffle that goes down in the can, and I think it gives better separation and less tendency to re-pick up the fine stuff that gets separated out. Once it's down in the can, it stays there.

http://madebyjohn.blogspot.com/2011/11/my-thien-dust-collector.html

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my set up…...Harbor Freight collector with a shop made trash can separator with a Thien Baffle, Long Range Remote, Wynn filter, Dust Right hose from Rockler's, and a floor sweep accessory from an old shop vac. All on a mobile base (Harbor Freight as well) with a footprint of 2' x 4'.
v
Engineering Gas Automotive tire Industry Machine

v
I have a pretty detailed project post if your are interested.
v
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/99119

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
I just purchased the HF 2 HP unit also. I'm also looking for design ideas, so I'll be following this with interest. Kdc68's design looks fantastic, but it looks like a fair amount of work to build.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I just purchased the HF 2 HP unit also. I m also looking for design ideas, so I ll be following this with interest. Kdc68 s design looks fantastic, but it looks like a fair amount of work to build.

- bbrown
v
Thanks. The build wasn't too bad. A couple casual weekends to do it from start to finish. I did however, spend a good amount of time researching what I wanted and needed. Well worth it in the end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.