LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glue Spreaders

So I know everyone out there has some of their own money saving tips and tricks. I thought I would try to share a few of the ones I use. This idea came to me today while wandering around one of my favorite stores, trying to find items to put in my discount shopping bag.

I saw a package of plastic glue spreaders for sale for $3.50 (per 6), I have read of guys using old credit cards and such and I have a few of them in my box but the items I found that seems to work well serves two purposes in finishing. Poly foam brushes, once I am done using them to finish with I let them dry out then strip the foam head off. They generally have a plastic piece to hold the shape of the head which makes great a glue spreader. I have also used them as stirrers for my finishes and have started to tape them to the sides of the can once dried so i can use the same one again.

IMG_0192

The best part is these are usually on sale at various places for like 10 cents each and I get to use them for more then just glue up. Also come in handy as wooden dowel pins.

CtL

·
Registered
19,674 Posts
Glue Spreaders

So I know everyone out there has some of their own money saving tips and tricks. I thought I would try to share a few of the ones I use. This idea came to me today while wandering around one of my favorite stores, trying to find items to put in my discount shopping bag.

I saw a package of plastic glue spreaders for sale for $3.50 (per 6), I have read of guys using old credit cards and such and I have a few of them in my box but the items I found that seems to work well serves two purposes in finishing. Poly foam brushes, once I am done using them to finish with I let them dry out then strip the foam head off. They generally have a plastic piece to hold the shape of the head which makes great a glue spreader. I have also used them as stirrers for my finishes and have started to tape them to the sides of the can once dried so i can use the same one again.

IMG_0192

The best part is these are usually on sale at various places for like 10 cents each and I get to use them for more then just glue up. Also come in handy as wooden dowel pins.

CtL
Great tip Chris I'll remember that one thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Glue Spreaders

IMG_0192

CtL
You're a good scavenger! love it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Glue Spreaders

IMG_0192

CtL
great tip
thanks

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Glue Spreaders

IMG_0192

CtL
thank´s for the tip Chris

Dennis

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Glue Spreaders

IMG_0192

CtL
I never knew what to do with those darn things once the head came off… great tip!
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Glue Spreaders

IMG_0192

CtL
And I thought I was cheap (frugal?)! Great idea!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Glue Spreaders

IMG_0192

CtL
I use the fake credit cards that I get in the mail, have a stack of them, but two days ago, needed to spread Poly glue (industrial gorilla) over a large surface, and use a piece of scrap wood.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Glue Spreaders

IMG_0192

CtL
Use and reuse. Great tip. Thanks.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Glue Spreaders

IMG_0192

CtL
I love this trick! I've also been known to cut the gluey part off of a foam brush and keep using it until it's just the plastic bit… :eek:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Glue Spreaders

IMG_0192

CtL
send that tip in to one of the magazines. that tip is worthy of a prize. your a thinker.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Glue Spreaders

IMG_0192

CtL
An extra tip. Take a pinking shears and trim the end off about a quarter of an inch. This will give you a notched trowel effect. I find it a better way to spread the glue for big glue ups.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glue Spreaders

IMG_0192

CtL
Thanks all. Hope it is a great help.
David, Never really thought of submitting as a tip. But I have now. Worth a try.
Gary, thanks for the additional tip. Looks like I may have to go find my wife's stash of scrapbooking sciscors.

CtL

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Glue Spreaders

IMG_0192

CtL
Congrats on the magizine tip.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glue Spreaders-Update

Just a quick update in regards to my last post. When my fellow LumberJock suggested I submit this tip to a magazine, I figured why not. So I submitted it to one of my favorites…. Woodsmith. Low and behold I was contacted a few days later and if you look at this months issue (which I just got in the mail today) you will see my tip :)
Thanks for the encouragement David.

CtL

·
Registered
381 Posts
Glue Spreaders-Update

Just a quick update in regards to my last post. When my fellow LumberJock suggested I submit this tip to a magazine, I figured why not. So I submitted it to one of my favorites…. Woodsmith. Low and behold I was contacted a few days later and if you look at this months issue (which I just got in the mail today) you will see my tip :)

CtL
That's great, congratulations! Did they compensate you for your efforts. I bet it feels cool to have your tip in a magazine!

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Glue Spreaders-Update

CtL
Congratulations.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
Glue Spreaders-Update

CtL
Way-To-Go!!!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Glue Spreaders-Update

CtL
That is great.

Sharad

·
Premium Member
20,131 Posts
Glue Spreaders-Update

CtL
Cool!! What's the tip?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.