LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have seen alot of companies here paying under the table etc..At first i didnt really care but now i see it takes sales away from real companies that pay the bills.Worst yet i see guys get hurt and they are fired.Most of these guys cant do much about it.Amazing in these times that this type of stuff is getting more common.

·
In Loving Memory
3,728 Posts
Joseph? Have you been hacked? Is this really you?

You haven't made any sense, (sorry), since you posted this.

Why not start over again and explain who and what you are talking about. Who knows, it might help.

·
Registered
13,731 Posts
Your first post is vague, at first I thought you were talking about LJ which didn't make much sense but now I see you are probably talking about Hawaii. Not everyone is going to look at your profile to see where you live and they shouldn't have to.

Back on point, when you say it is becoming more common do you mean more common in Hawaii specifically and why do you believe that? Sometimes people think something is becoming more common when really they are just becoming aware of how common it is. Paying under the table is pretty common in every state where I've lived and has been for decades, at least. A related issue that was more common until the IRS cracked down was paying employees and listing them as contractors. This happened to my friend, he wasn't real savvy about looking over his pay stubs and a few years later the IRS came after him for not paying his taxes.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Dallas and Rick thanks for responding.Yes i see i did run a in complete thread.I cannot name names or company names as it will open me to law suits.Ill let this thread die as i dont have time right now to go into detail.Thanks for responding politely and not just picking a fight for no reason like others here.Mahalo

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hey dude.. You need a chill pill big time. No one knew what the hell you were trying to say. I politely pointed out that what ever it was, it probably wasn't meant for this forum. I take great offense to you calling me "CUZ" I am not your cousin and I would appreciate if you wouldn't refer to me in that manner. I think most people, except you my friend, recognized the way I was using the word "CUZ". AS IN BECAUSE.

·
In Loving Memory
3,728 Posts
ScottKaye, In defense of Joseph, I think you have either misread or misunderstood the usage of "cuz."

"if you dont like my thread theres no reason to read it or get stupid with me cuz…."

The usage in the phrase, in my opinion refers more to the word 'because' that to the word, 'cousin.'

Don't try to start a fight by manufacturing a reason.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Threads over Scott chill out…If you want to take it further give me a call we can talk my phone numbers on my website.Mahalo

Dkv I fire my self daily hurt or not hahahaaa ill answer your question.A few of the wood shops here in Hawaii hire chronics or the less off.when things go wrong they are fired gone.No insurance for injuries nothing.No legal paper trail on labor etc.Mean while the owners bring in big profits.It takes business away from the ones running legally and in the end hurts the profession as a whole.Nothing new really but as a business owner with kids i dont like losing sales to this type of business.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
I read this thread and am confused.

In my area, this is not a common thing to hire people under the table. Some people will hire for small jobs under the table. I know a guy building a house that hires people like that. I would not hire a company or do business with a company that I suspected was doing this.

Any legitimate business, could get sued and arrested for doing what you are suggesting. Why if a worker got hurt doing such a job would he not go to the police or some other authority or even use civil action to get compensation for an injury. Any injury on the job would come under the state OSHA department.

·
In Loving Memory
3,728 Posts
Actually, hiring a non-documented worker isn't illegal.
Asking to see a green card IS, however illegal and can cost an employer $10,000 in fines for discrimination among other things.
Hiring short term workers under the term, "Casual Labor" or "Contract Labor" is also not illegal. In neither case is the employer required to provide insurance or anything else. Both types of employee are however, required to provide a name and a Social Security number in the US. I don't know about other countries.
Funny thing is, my wife use to work for a company that checked S.S numbers and names…... Many times the same numbers would be used for hundreds of different names.
The government doesn't require that the employer check those numbers or names unless the employee is either a short term, (part time), employee, or a full time employee.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Dallas that's a stretch bud. Ive had numerous people read this thread and they all agree, his use of the term CUZ was derogatory street slang where mine was clearly not. Don't try and point a finger at me when Im not the one that started with the hating

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.