LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I don't know if anyone has heard of this, but some Home Depots are carrying something called a Pine Plywood. I've never heard of it, but for the price of $35 for a 4×8, 3/4" sheet, 11 ply, void-free as far as I can see, super smooth, it was well worth the purchase. It's actually what I used to make my Drill Press Cabinet (well, most of it anyways). The veneer is thin, but it's the same as all the others available from all the big box stores around me. This is by far better than anything either store offers and heck of a lot cheaper. Well, you kind of know what that means; yes, it is made in China. With the availability of lumber being scarce in my area, I'm not going to spend $50 on void-filled, supposedly cabinet grade, ply when I can get much better for much cheaper. I hope the surrounding plywood suppliers step up their game. I don't mind spending the money if the quality is there. Just thought I would pass this along if you have a tight budget. (you can't find it on HD's website. It is carried by the participating stores).

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Please give us a PLU number, mfg. number or a store part number.
It would also help if you posted a picture of different profiles of the plywood.

All I can find at any of the online stores is the "white wood" Chinese stuff. Both Home Depot and Lowes. I have also found AC, Common and BC plywood, none of which is 11 ply.

Please help.

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
I wouldn't buy that. Home Depot carries Columbia Forest Plywood made in the US that is actually good quality for $40-50/sheet. Spend the extra $10 and you even get a hardwood outer ply layer.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've already glued up two panels to form my drill press table. So far, it's looking great and very solid. It's also heavier than all the 3/4" ply I have, which isn't saying much, but is roughly equal to the weight of my Maple ply I have remaining from a while back.

And goochs, don't think that I haven't thought about that already. lol. I also wonder what glue and chemicals have been infused with it to get it through customs. So far, it's working out great and look forward to building more stuff with it until someone else can match its quality locally.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jmartel, my HD's (3 of them) don't carry any of the good ply. One store used to get the Columbia Forest Plywood, but doesn't anymore. That's where I bought my Maple ply to build my entertainment center. I wish they would carry it again, but for me, this new product is my only option. :-/ Everything else has been a total crapshoot.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the photos…you can see for yourself it's more than 7 piles. It's definitely not the photo you have linked, but HD is known for not having the correct photo for the respective product.

Wood Floor Automotive design Gas Composite material

2 layers of the ply glued together for my Drill Press Table.
Wood Flooring Shelving Floor Wood stain

Attachments

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Don't anyone look now, but if you have upholstered furniture in your home, there is a good chance that if any of it has plywood in it, that plywood came from China. I was using it as far back as 2006 for Catnapper and Ashley. Also used by La-Z-Boy and many others. It is pretty much an industry standard these days, that or MDF.

·
Registered
602 Posts
US workers pay US taxes which in turn help to pay for the roads that we all use. Chinese workersare paid a pittance, and taxes they pay support a regime that has a 50 year plan to turn us into a giant cow pasture. So enjoy that ten-dollar savings. Wonder what the laid-off plywood mill workers are eating tonight…

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm sure you have never patronized a Wal-Mart or a Harbor Freight either? Im also confident your shop does not have at least a few Chinese/Taiwanese tools in it.

US workers pay US taxes which in turn help to pay for the roads that we all use. Chinese workersare paid a pittance, and taxes they pay support a regime that has a 50 year plan to turn us into a giant cow pasture. So enjoy that ten-dollar savings. Wonder what the laid-off plywood mill workers are eating tonight…

- fuigb

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dallas - That's cool. I wish I could provide more, but that's all the details I have. I know the other 2 HD's have no clue this product exists, so I'm restricted to only picking it up from that store. It's only on an endcap; not in the aisle like the other products. Maybe testing a new vendor under the same sku? I don't know. I have been more conscious is buying US made products, but if they are that inferior for a much higher price (please know this is probably a regional thing and not nationwide), then I will buy Chinese made products.

fuigb - Not sure who you're directing that too, but if you read my post, it's not like i have other options available. You are basically saying to just support the US worker even if whatever I use from it will be crap. I'm not going to spend double / triple to get the same quality that is located at least double the distance to where this HD carries this particular ply (40 minute drive). I don't mind paying $10 - $15 more for US made, Quality, product at all; just be available within reasonable driving distance.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I am in the construction industry and have been for four decades. Several things I have learned, some the hard way!

In lumber, you only get what your pay for. Cheap is Cheap, no matter where you purchase.
HD's China made ply is not APA approved, and for good reason. It is not mfg'd to APA standards. In fact, there are no standards for China's export ply.
Non APA ply is not acceptable for construction in the USA
Non APA materials used in structural application may just get you a 'RED TAG' when the building inspector comes calling. {of course, there are a few times the inspector has overlooked the quality issue}

However, it is hard to convince some people of the above facts.

They know that…..IT IS CHEAP, SO IT MUST BE BETTER!

From the APA web site…........

"The APA Mark of Quality
APA trademarks appear only on products manufactured by APA member mills. The mark signifies that panel quality is subject to verification through APA audit-a procedure designed to assure manufacture in conformance with APA performance standards or the standard shown in the mark."

·
Registered
10,887 Posts
I hit some hardwood ply from HD that had a red glue between the layers with hardly a void that I could find. Some of the best I've used. I've never purchased ply from a reputable supplier so this was as good as it got.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.