LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just upgraded my 6" bench grinder to 8" slow speed, and am now looking at getting a CBN wheel. Not sure which grit to get tho. What do you have and what grit would you recommend? I'm thinking of getting just one to sharpen and I'll use what came with the grinder to do any actual "grinding" to get the tool close. Thanks for any and all input.

Paul

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
You do realize those wheels are mainly made for sharpening carbide and other super hard alloys and therefore cost twice as much as your grinder?

Otherwise, I would buy a Rikon 8" grinder complete with white aluminum oxide wheels on sale for $100 and be done with it.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Here is a review I posted on my CBN wheels in January 2014 … I'm still happy with them:
http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/3742

CBN wheels are for sharpening HSS tools … I wouldn't use them on "carbide and other super hard alloys".

If you are only looking to buy one wheel, go with the 180-grit.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Gerry, your review suggests giving the grinder a head start by spinning the wheels, are they that much heavier than regular wheels?

- Fred Hargis
Yes. I haven't weighed them versus the old friable wheels, but they are milled from a single piece of steel and are certainly heftier. It also takes a lllloooonnnngggg time for them to spin down after you shut the grinder motor off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.