LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
It seems like every handheld power tool is sold with a plastic case (some better than others).

I do not store my tools in their cases. I have a designated place for every power tool and I store my tools in their spaces without a case. I don't want to bother getting the tool in and out of the case whenever I want to use it.

I also create places for all my tools accessories and adjustment tools (wrenches et. al.) near where I store the tool.

I have a nice collection of tool cases in storage outside of my workshop. I'll use the case if I am going off-site or if I am selling the tool.

I'm curious - do other people store their hand held power tool in or out of their cases?

·
Registered
16,431 Posts
I'm with you, Rich. For the tools I use often, I find a place to keep them so that they are easily accessible. I do keep a few things in the case if I don't use them often….like my biscuit joiner.

What to do with the cases is sort of a dilemma for me. I never use them, but I can't bear to throw them away, so they end up taking up space and gathering dust on a shelf.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I still use my cases for like my brad nailers and staple guns mainly because I have such a dust issue. Untill I get an air vac system I feel better with them in there even if its always a pain when I need them…...........Schloemoe

·
Registered
98 Posts
My new drill/impact driver set sits comfortably in it's bag. With no actual workshop space, the cases are important to me, but I seem to be the exception.

Also, it seems like the industry is moving towards two new types of containers; the bag mentioned above, and several manufacturers seem to be adopting the Tanos Systainers introduced by Festool.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a few Festools. When I got the first one I was very impressed with the case (systainer). I though I might store my festool plunge saw in the case. Nope - I quickly realized that even with a case that nice, I still don't want to store tools in their cases.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Everything out of the case. I usually ditch the case, because I never use them, unless they are made in such a way that I can use them for other stuff. Cases are great for those without much room, and those who take them off site, and probably those who lose the associated attachments. I have a moderate case of OCD, so I have a shelf or drawer for everything, including the attachments. But because I have a moderate case of OCD…....I don't care what the shelf or drawer looks like…..........(-:
Jim

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I generally sell my old plastic cases at our yard sales.

However, I like to use non-representative cases to carry my tools, e.g. you'll find my battery-driven drill in an old violin case. It adds to the spooky eclectic shtick that I use to entertain my clients.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I once had a trick case that came with my Makita router. When I initially opened the case I could see the router, an extra base, extra collet, wrenches, etc. all securely in place. I removed what I needed. Later, I wanted to put everything back in the case to take the router off-site. Some magically trick had happened because it was no longer possible to fit everything back into the case. It was a dirty trick and I blame Makita.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The only cases I keep are my Paslode Impulse cases. They hold the gun, a couple batteries, batt. recharger, and some even hold a box of nails (not the framer). Everything else is a big waste of plastic.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I only keep the case if it has more purpose than just holding the tool. I recycle my plastic cases. I use CLC tool bags for off site work., even have color coded bags for specific tools. I can carry alot more than some silly plastic case has to offer.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Only select tools I leave in the case like my fein multi master and that's only because it's in my contracting truck with lots of other tools. Getting ready for my tool sale I've found maybe 35 tool cases I've stored.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Free cases, at least 25.

Milwaukee, PC, Dewalt, Hilti, Drill Doctor, Hitachi, did I say Porter Cable? you name it, I have them.

All unused, my tools are almost all in drawers.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Hey Jim, Anchorage Alaska:

I've got some old Atlas Powder Co. dynamite boxes that I carry tools in when I go to craft shows.
It really turns heads. ;~>

Then there's that grenade box from Ft. Campbell, Kentucky…

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
In the shop, once I take the tool out of the case the tool ends up under the assembly bench and the case back on the shelf, till I need them on the job aain and then back in the case till I need it in the shop again.
My milwakee cordless set I bought a soft sided bag to keep them in and chucked the plastic suitcase.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.