LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, glad to be here. Looking forward to gaining some knowledge from the woodcarvers.

I've started my carving journey with cigar ashtrays and I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far. I definitely want to get better at creating some more detail instead of simply hollowing a bowl and making half circles. I joined to get some inspiration and ideas.

I attend premium cigar events and I was getting embarrassed with seeing the booths that were selling cigar ashtrays made from wood. These guys were basically going to the local hardware store, buying 2x4s, staining them and using a 3" forstner bit (with the pilot hole still present) and getting pretty good coin for these thoughtless ashtrays.

I'm not sure I'll sell them, but they will make some nice gifts for my family and friends.

I'd really like to get better by carving some figures/designs in the sides.

Wood Hand tool Scratch awl Art Tool

·
Premium Member
10,583 Posts
Welcome to Lumberjocks.

If you are interested in relief carving, I definitely recommend Mary May's free beginner carving videos as a good introduction. If you follow and carve along with her videos, you will have a completed carving at the end with enough basic understanding carve other images. Make sure you check out the video about which gouges to get to start with. Find some good basswood carving blanks to make the learning curve easier.

·
Administrator
3,172 Posts
Make sure to check out our woodcarving section as well!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I don’t know why that lady Mary gets mentioned so much. It’s odd to me .
The hardest part I’ve found is sharpening. Starting with big carving tools is a good idea. The they get the harder they are to sharpen. What I do is Tormek to grind the shape and slow buffing wheel to keep them cutting.
I like those cigars trays I’ve never seen one before they look nice and rustic.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
10,583 Posts
I don’t know why that lady Mary gets mentioned so much. It’s odd to me .
The hardest part I’ve found is sharpening. Starting with big carving tools is a good idea. The they get the harder they are to sharpen. What I do is Tormek to grind the shape and slow buffing wheel to keep them cutting.
Good Luck
I guess because I literally knew nothing about carving before watching her free intro videos and by following along with her I was able to do a pretty decent job of emulating her carvings. After just a few tries I was able to find images online, trace them onto a piece of wood and carve it. Before watching her videos, I was very frustrated and gave up more than once.

I agree that sharpening is the hardest part to learn but one of her intro videos is about sharpening and it helped me get and maintain a good edge without spending a ton of money on a Tormek..

·
Premium Member
10,583 Posts
I found her instructions very easy to follow, especially as you watch her carve the same thing you are carving. She just sort of describes what she is doing and why. She is a very good teacher, IMO. When something didn't go right, I simply backed up the video and paid more attention to her technique. Literally within about an hour I went from being totally unable to do any sort of relief carving to knowing the basics. By practicing the same carving a few times, I got confident enough to find images to carve myself.

·
Premium Member
10,583 Posts
I’ll will look up her work tonight to see what I can find. One question I have is how do think she became a popular wood carver ? By watching videos or spending a thousand hours carving.
LOL. IIRC, she actually says in one of her free intro videos who taught her to carve. It was long enough ago that there probably weren't online carving course yet. She became popular by being an excellent teacher, both with in person classes and then online. If you follow the link I posted above, it will take you to the list of free videos. You do have to register on her website to access them but there is no cost and I do not get a bunch of spam from her either so it is risk free.

BTW, I have no affiliation with her, nor have I taken any of her paid classes. Just my opinion of her free online course.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
This is part of the Northmen (Scandinavia) code:
"Craft, no business
Value, not price
quality, no quantity
to create, not to produce
Hands, not machines"

Those are nice gouges and ash trays. If you really want to create pieces that stand out from others, don't listen too much voices, but learn to listen your inner voice. History and tradition are a much deep and reliable source than superficial and temporary trends. So much videos and opinions out there from novices doing just two things: making a name for themselves and making money out of your need of learning a technique or a trade. Youtube is saturated with videos of people not teaching, but telling you "do this" and "Don't do that".......at the end you are gonna be producing exactly the same things. F--- it!....you are the one who sets your own rules if you really want to create something significant. "Only dead fish follow the stream".

Work, work, work is your best teacher.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Learning to carve is somewhat like learning to ride a bicycle. You can watch videos for hours, but you will learn to carve by carving - you, actually pushing a tool through wood - and getting the feedback of your tool and your eyes.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
I don’t carve too much, rather I tend to use carving tools to help with other projects I’m making, or to add accents. As for sharpening and honing gouges, I’ve found it’s a breeze on my WorkSharp3000. I built in a small pull out shelf under my bench and the WS lives there, so in the middle of work I can slide it out and hone a chisel, plane iron or gouge and be right back to work within seconds. Awesome tool!

Wood Table Shipping box Material property Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive design Trunk Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Welcome to LJ, you may find someone in your area that is willing to teach carving. Years ago my father taught classes at local craft building. Ran into a guy a few years ago that is teaching carving in Greenville, SC. He learned from my father.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello all, glad to be here. Looking forward to gaining some knowledge from the woodcarvers.

I've started my carving journey with cigar ashtrays and I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far. I definitely want to get better at creating some more detail instead of simply hollowing a bowl and making half circles. I joined to get some inspiration and ideas.

I attend premium cigar events and I was getting embarrassed with seeing the booths that were selling cigar ashtrays made from wood. These guys were basically going to the local hardware store, buying 2x4s, staining them and using a 3" forstner bit (with the pilot hole still present) and getting pretty good coin for these thoughtless ashtrays.

I'm not sure I'll sell them, but they will make some nice gifts for my family and friends.

View attachment 3853216
Check schoolofwoodcarving.com also

·
Registered
48 Posts

View attachment 3853216

1 - 16 of 16 Posts