LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Okay.

Fess up.

Who's got a Mahogany Zero Clearance Insert on their band saw???

Ante up??

I'm in.

"Yankees never throw anything away…." :)

Those with a truly keen eye will notice the tiny blood stain, just to the left of the blade.

This is how I'm signing my work … for now ;-)

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
I've never seen mahogany bleed.

I sure hope it's not yours.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, know, mtkate .... I almost never know why I'm bleeding. I just seem to … suffer for my art :)

The Grizzly uses an oddball size for its inserts. I started with a 3" hole saw, and then … got creative.

The pilot hole, for my hole saw, is roughly the same diameter as the non-business end of a Bic pen.

I stuck the end of the Bic into the hold in the Mahogany disc, and then moved the disc gingerly toward the spindle on my oscillating spindle sander.

Once it made light contact, I held the Bic firmly against the sander's table, and-using a (non-bleeding) finger, slowly spun the disc around the Bic pivot point-taking off just a touch, a few times, until it was a snug press-fit on the band saw.

Then … the free-form drilling of the ZCI ensued … although … if what you're cutting covers the entire ZCI … I'm not sure you're really getting any dust collection through the insert…..

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lew:

Good question.

The stock I cut mine from is 0.130" thick.
The bulk of the OEM insert measures 0.160" thick.

If I tapped the shop-made ZCI all the way down, it wouldn't be flush, but … it's a tight enough fit that it sits nicely right at sea level.

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
detroit , huh ?

with a tag like ' beaner ' ,

i figured you for a lowrider from east L. A. !

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
..........hey, you communicating from the Matrix…......Oh well….....some day I will replace my toy bandsaw….......

...........................................envy…...................................

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.