LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have seen some of the canes on this site and all i can is WOW I want to make one of those. I even started one. I got the drill bit and some wood I wouldn't mind messing up and even drilled the hole for the dowel and I discovered that it is really hard to drill a hole that deep and keep it straight. So if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears. I plan on going ahead with the hole angled just for the practice. Thanks in advance.

Paul

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Basic first step, increment drill sizes, small to large, of course. Keep as straight as possible.

Otherwise, don't worry about it too much. You need space for the glue. As long as it dries straight and tight, the canes joint should be strong. I usually have to adjust dowel or hole to get everything aligned.

I use a two part marine epoxy that cures like iron. It has some mass so I need room in the dowel hole for good effect.

Good luck with those canes…...........................

·
Registered
736 Posts
You might make sure your drill bit is truly sharpened correctly. There was a thread a few days ago about whether tools should be "sharp" when new, and there was quite a bit of talk about it. It seems "sharp" may be a relative term. If the bit isn't equally sharp on both faces, or if the center of the bit is off-center (by "allowable" tolerances, lol) then your hole won't cut straight or even at the right size.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.